The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Very interesting!

I saw that too and sent an email for more information but have not heard anything yet. The body type in my opinion did not look like a Welsummer, but maybe it was just the angle of the photo and it would have been nice to see an egg photo with that listing, but I asked for one in the email.

Wish these little eggies a safe trip off to sunny California.
smile.png

11170_imgp0086.jpg

Quote:
There IS a breeder or WAS a breeder in the UK that raises White Welsummers. It was created by an "odd" chick that popped up and he was using it to see if it would produce White Welsummers.

In this case of the breeder, it IS possible but it is very difficult to say if he does not post the dark eggs and to verify the breedings. Remember a while back, some of our BYCers got some white or off white chicks from Welsummers and we called it cross breds or "throw-backs", this may be the case. Yes I am very doubtful about it. If there is NO known breeders lines, or just hatchery lines, forget it, pass it up. We really have to ASK alot of questions about that.

If you do find out, please do let me know!

OK several of our WCNA members have expressed interest and wanted validity of these White Welsummers.

So I fired off an email to him via Ebay and asked him some hard questions about his Welsummers. I hope he does respond back and give me the information I need to hear and see more photographs of them and their egg colors.

If he did breed those "sport" chicks together to get white Welsummers, and they are from breeder's birds, not hatchery, then I would look at them as project birds. If one wants a White Welsummer, it is not accepted in the APA or UK or Netherland or German Welsummer standards. White birds to them are an attraction to predators LOL! I can certainly understand that but as for one wanting dual purpose birds with no dark pinfeathers for meat purposes, there will be a demand for white birds.

Now the question you may all have, would or would you accept these White Welsummers into the club or APA standard? As for the APA, no, I would not.

I am curious as well. The first wellsummer eggs I bought, hatched out 1 white chick. She does lay as dark an egg as her hatch mates. but not as dark as I like. I hatched 1 roo out of that clucth and he is nice, but I would say a bit light in Hackle feather. Also hatched a lighter colored hen. When I mate the roo to the white hen and the lighter colored hen, got white chicks. I have a male white and 3 females white. I assmed the breeder messed up and mixed eggs as they had other breeds as well. I have put this whole bunch in my egg producer gruop, and the white hen, lays pretty well. I figured this whloe clutch was not pure so just eat /sell the eggs.

I'm very skeptical. Does anyone else think the rooster looks like a white rock in body type? It's so hard to see the females in that picture.

If it can be reasonably proven that his birds are pure, then I don't have any problem admitting them to the Welsummer club. I don't think they are though.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
looks like they are fitting right in!!
smile.png
I'm sure they will have a good home.. It was nice meeting you all. I sold the other pair of wellsummers lastnight so guess I'm sold out of all LF except my cochins. I got the eggs from BYC memebers once I remember their names I'll let ya know..

Last edited:
I got response back on the white wellies he's going send me a pic of eggs and I also asked if he would send a different pic of his birds.

Back
Top Bottom