The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Hi Rookie!

These roosters are not typically nasty creatures, fact they should be very non-aggressive birds, great protectors of their flocks and they should be great free rangers. Since these chicks are still so young you may be able to increase the amount of handling that you do with them and get them more used to you.
smile.png

I agree with pinkchick here. Granted I am relatively new to wellies, but I hatched 4 several weeks ago (2pullets, 2 roos) and the 2 fellas are by far the most friendly, amiable chickies I have. The come running and flapping when they hear me approach. Will eat out of my hand and, most importatnly, are gentle and freindly with the other birds. We'll see what happens when the hormones really start pumping, but so far so good.

Ok- haven't been on this thread for a while, but thought I'd ask the wellie people! What are the odds of a bantam popping up from LF lines? I'm pretty sure I have one. All of her hatchmates were normal, but one is perfectly miniature. She did come from a nice dark speckled egg. Wondering if I should get her a tiny roo
lol.png

I've been raising these guys for several years without adding new blood. This is the first time it happened.

I'm finally getting caught up on my email and all the postings here. We had that ice storm last week, then the cold . Hudson looked like a war zone with tree limbs, power lines and poles down all over. I was out of electricity only two days, but the town was out 4-5days. Just got my internet back yesterday. I was kept busy with the generator moving it back and forth from the barn to the house. Then when I had the generator on the house I had to bring those little willies into the house. They didn't like the move, but liked the warmth. Part of the fun of raising little chicks in the winter.

Blessings

Harold

Quote:
Glad to hear that things are getting back to normal for you. Our chicks are spoiled, they live in our kitchen for at least the first couple of weeks or until we can't keep the brooder clean enough not to smell, than they move out to our heated garage until it is warm enough outside for them.

Hi everyone,
I have a nice little flock of Wellies.. one Roo and 11 hens. They are from a hatchery but I really lucked out as all but one of my hens lay the dark terracotta eggs. The one little lady actually lays pink eggs which we love as well. We were thinking of hatching out some chicks this spring. Should I choose to hatch out chicks from only the darkest eggs??

Quote:
WOW! Already?!?!?!
woot.gif
Lots and lots O' luck Les!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
I'm very excited for you. I know how long you have been waiting to get these eggs and I appreciate your patience my friend. I hope you have an excellent hatch. Gosh....I'm still just stunned that it is lockdown already. I had it wrote down on my calendar too, just dawn on me.
tongue.png

Kim, they are rockin like crazy. Even the Charmin blue copper is rockin. I will keep you posted. Today is day 19.
lol.png
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom