The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Bottom half of tail covert being white fluff, From most of the males I see posted they have white cottonball fluff in the tail coverts. Don

Nothing to worry about. Some are white and some are light gray in color. Once he is fully matured, he should be able to cover those fluffs.

Quote:
Yup, I saw it - twice. Once about 2 weeks ago, and I heard the roosters making a ruckus - I ran out and saw it running through the brush. Then Tuesday morning, I saw it again when getting ready to take my son to school. I think she was taken in the afternoon though.

It was similar coloring to a coyote, but shorter with a long, thick tail. So I'm figuring it was a gray fox. We have only seen red foxes here before and that was before we got our dog. And I know it climbed the fence because it hooked my girl on the fence at the top and her feathers were stuck there. My heart just sank when I realized it was my favorite girl that was gone.

My dog has been outside every day since. I never thought that a fox could climb fences - I knew raccoons can. I'm borrowing a trap today.

Quote:
Bottom half of tail covert being white fluff, From most of the males I see posted they have white cottonball fluff in the tail coverts. Don

Welcome to the Welsummer thread my friend! Very glad to have you join us here Don!

Don't know what you are referring to with the fluff, but with the Wellies it's not an issue like it is with the Marans.....this is a huge relief when dealing with the Wellies vs. the humongous headache it is with the Marans.
smile.png

Quote:
Yup, I saw it - twice. Once about 2 weeks ago, and I heard the roosters making a ruckus - I ran out and saw it running through the brush. Then Tuesday morning, I saw it again when getting ready to take my son to school. I think she was taken in the afternoon though.

It was similar coloring to a coyote, but shorter with a long, thick tail. So I'm figuring it was a gray fox. We have only seen red foxes here before and that was before we got our dog. And I know it climbed the fence because it hooked my girl on the fence at the top and her feathers were stuck there. My heart just sank when I realized it was my favorite girl that was gone.

My dog has been outside every day since. I never thought that a fox could climb fences - I knew raccoons can. I'm borrowing a trap today.

Yep, time for trap. UGH! I can not believe predators would get every chance they get. Time for a Ft Knox coop LOL!
hugs.gif
for the loss of your girl! I would hate to see mine go too!

Quote:

Nothing to worry about. Some are white and some are light gray in color. Once he is fully matured, he should be able to cover those fluffs.

The white fluff is on the tail coverts and there will never be anything to cover it as there is no feathers that cover the coverts. Most every Welsummer adult male I have seen pictured here and other sites have the white fluff and I believe it is the reason why most welsummers that win in a show are female welsummer.

Just thought maybe someone had some ideas on breeding to eliminate the white fluff in the coverts. This is a major fault for showing. Don

Quote:

The white fluff is on the tail coverts and there will never be anything to cover it as there is no feathers that cover the coverts. Most every Welsummer adult male I have seen pictured here and other sites have the white fluff and I believe it is the reason why most welsummers that win in a show are female welsummer.

Just thought maybe someone had some ideas on breeding to eliminate the white fluff in the coverts. This is a major fault for showing. Don

Hi Don!
Not to be disagreeable, but I was under the impression that the fluff with the Wellies is not an issue when showing. Fact I recall someone...a judge perhaps or someone from the APA coming by once and saying that it was not an issue with the Welsummers...or was that a comment made in the Marans thread once, perhaps by Walt? Not sure....but I specifically remember that comment about Welsummers and fluff vs. Marans and fluff regardless of which thread it was posted in.
smile.png

IMO there is no way to breed the fluff out....I found a very interesting article about the fluff and the type of feather that it is why it is fluffy instead of a smooth feather. When I have time on Sunday I will try and locate that article and post it. It really opened my eyes to why we have fluff on many breeds of birds.

Quote:

I honestly don't know if it is a major fault. I don't see anything on the SOP regarding to it unless it is talking about the "undercover" which it should be slate. I have no idea what an "undercover" is.
roll.png

Judges here in the US are not too well informed on the proper color and critiqueria of the Welsummer which I think the APA should do a better job in explaining and defining the true Welsummer and have a UK judge or two to show the US judges the "proper" Welsummer color.

Maybe Royce would know because he does show his birds and maybe his feedback on the white fluff would clarify once and for all.

Quote:

Hi Don!
Not to be disagreeable, but I was under the impression that the fluff with the Wellies is not an issue when showing. Fact I recall someone...a judge perhaps or someone from the APA coming by once and saying that it was not an issue with the Welsummers...or was that a comment made in the Marans thread once, perhaps by Walt? Not sure....but I specifically remember that comment about Welsummers and fluff vs. Marans and fluff regardless of which thread it was posted in.
smile.png

IMO there is no way to breed the fluff out....I found a very interesting article about the fluff and the type of feather that it is why it is fluffy instead of a smooth feather. When I have time on Sunday I will try and locate that article and post it. It really opened my eyes to why we have fluff on many breeds of birds.

Hi Kim, where we run into a lot of problems is when things are not spelled out in the breed description and we have to relate back to the SOP in the cuttings for defects sections. Lot of folks think because something is not listed in the breed description as faults or DQ's they are ok. Just not true though.

I was only looking for some ideas if anyone had any on the easiest way to breed out the white fluff. I have been culling any of the males with the white Covert fluff. I am only interested in the white fluff, if it is slate or grey that is fine. Don

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom