The Welsummer Thread!!!!

She was a lovely hen but right now she really showing her age. She had a hard time bouncing back from her last moult. And she is not as fast as she used to be. I hope to get her a mate so I can get some daughters out of her.

She's beautiful Ewe!

Sometime I will get some eggs from Opa. His stock and eggs are gorgeous. I PM'd him last fall, but he didn't have anything at that time. I believe he said he removes the roosters for winter or something.

That's a very colorful hen! I was beginning to think that the girls would be rather dull looking, but Summer is a hottie! I will really love having hens that look like her!

I'm not looking at Nate's stock yet because he had the big losses this year. I figure I can input with his Grisham/Hall stock for genetic diversity next year if I need to.

From all the reading online, it sounds like maybe the hall genetics are good to have in the birds. Just haven't found anyone here with JUST his line of birds.

Having a good solid start in Wellies was my goal. After all, if I'm going to replace the alpaca herd with chickens.........and you aren't supposed to eat alpacas.......but no one will frown if I eat a chicken now and then. Still I'm thinking I'd rather just eat the eggs and let the animals live!

Yes, Nate has gorgeous stock as well. I had lined up some eggs with him, but that was before his horrible winter. Maybe when he rebuilds his flock and starts selling again.

Quote:
I went and looked--Opa said he got his Wellies from Estes Hatchery! That is who I was going to order from until I got scared off by stories of hatchery chicks not being real heritage birds.
hu.gif

the other key to that equation is that he bought his the first year after they bought out the breeder stock. It doesn't take much time for stock to go down hill if someone isn't doing selective breeding.

Back
Top Bottom