The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Producing an Olive Egger can be done with an Ameraucana roo and a Marans hen too.....as long as the offspring have a peacomb they will lay an olive egg. If they get the single comb the chance of them laying an olive egg is something like 3%. The peacomb and the blue egg gene are very closely parked and in the scheme of things genetically and seem to walk hand in hand. The single combed offspring should lay a nicely colored Marans egg.....usually a tad lighter but some have surprized me and they lay an egg indistinguishable from my Marans. Olive eggers can also be produced using a Welsummer and an Ameraucana......basically you can create an Olive egger with any brown egg laying chicken crossed over and Ameraucana.....the lighter the brown egg, the lighter the olive/green egg.

smile.png

Welcome to the Welsummer thread New Wellie Friends!
frow.gif

This is good to know. Thank U. I wondered about where the olive egger came from. I don't know any of the genetics . I only had chickens for about 4 yrs, I still consider myself a newbee

Feike.......I had a multiple generation olive egger rooster that I was playing with. I bred him to pure Ameraucana's (to get the pea comb back as it's closely tied to the blue egg gene, which you need for olive eggs) and then bred the daughters back to him to darken the olive color they laid. I have yet to see any eggs from the 2nd mating.

But, I had to get rid of him to make room for my barnevelder boys, so I'm not breeding them anymore.

Sorry for the interruption - back to wellies.

Hey everyone...
I havent been around much lately, things have been a bit crazy... Im hoping to have more welsummers in 2012, if I cant find any eggs to hatch this year(or get chicks)... I will also be checking in on here as Robin needs some time off to do some personal business... If you have any questions or concerns please message me or email me at: [email protected]...

Hope everyone is having a good summer and hatching season.

If anyone needs anything please feel free to contact me in whichever way works best for you.

Nate Vanwey
WCNA VP
[email protected]

Yeah. Things are going well... Its been busy. Ready to get more wellies. Putting up all new fencing... Right now all I have for animals is 11 icelandic sheep and 2 donkeys.

The old red barn is gettimg burned down and a new one put up this spring with cement floors. I cant wait.

Untill then I will be getting some eggs to hatch and raise them in the heated barn for the winter. I will again have some of my amazing stock back and building up a nice flock again.

Im glad to be back with this amazing group.

CHEERS!

Quote:
Where did you get your Olive Egger - and where can I get one???? :)

Go on the Olive Eggers thread and you can make your own!
clap.gif

Hi All, I have a question. I have 3 Beautiful Wellsummer Hens. One is about 9 months and the other two are about 18weeks. I also have 20 other birds. The question is do Wellsummers need a larger roost than other birds? My 3 are sleeping on the floor of the hen house. The 9 month old has been a floor sleeper since we got her a few months ago. The two others had been roosting but now are down on the floor with the older one. They are large breed so would make sense to need a larger roost? They are healthy otherwise, not a thing wrong with them. thinking I will put a larger roost up and see if they hop up there.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom