The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Quote:
Hi and Welcome!

No I don't believe that there are specific bloodlines for speckly layers, but I can say that I know that there are folks that breed for the speckly eggs and not the solid ones. It really depends on the bird, some lay speckly and others do not. Both are beautiful and both speckly and solid eggs are acceptable for the Welsummers as long as they are that pretty terra cotta color.

I personally love the speckled eggs too.
smile.png

Quote:
We have some in the incubator right now due to hatch NYD- not sure what we will get, we are close to Cottage Grove WI

If I remember correctly Cottage grove is south and east of me towards Milwaukee right? i'll have to finf a map so I can see about where you all are. Ty Kim
1 question though, my brooder is in my garage, and very soon it will be way below zero, I have a sweeter heater for the brooder, and its approximately 4 ft by 4 ft, do you think they would make it, or would it be best to wait for a later hatch say March? when it's starting to warm up and most of the below zero weather is over?

Quote:
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wellies!
frow.gif

Are you referring to Wellies that came from me when you say Pink Wellies? Or are you teasing me and I missed out on some pink chickens somewhere?
lol.png

I think they came from you hehehe, but they look different lighter and with more gold feathers on there neck? are they your breeder girls because I would love a few wellies like those lighter ones. Though I'm seriously not picky they are all beautiful and those speckled eggs are awsum. I have 1 Bl. sexlink that sometimes lays me a speckled egg, took me forever to find out just who was laying it..... but it;s my favorite egg I hate to eat them LOL there too pretty. Nexxt year I think if I get some more I will blow them and make ornaments out of those.
This is my BSL that lays the speckled egg maybe she is a cross with a wellie or something, my other 2 lay a darker egg but sadly no speckles.
81831_daphniesuzieframed.jpg

Thats Daphne in the forground.

Quote:
Hi and Welcome!

No I don't believe that there are specific bloodlines for speckly layers, but I can say that I know that there are folks that breed for the speckly eggs and not the solid ones. It really depends on the bird, some lay speckly and others do not. Both are beautiful and both speckly and solid eggs are acceptable for the Welsummers as long as they are that pretty terra cotta color.

I personally love the speckled eggs too.
smile.png

I agree. And some of my new layers lay sometimes speckled sometimes not.

We set 24 eggs for a January 1st hatch. We just candled and found 19 are developing. This will be the birds our son takes to the county fair with 4H. Hopefully, we'll have great results. Cross your fingers!

Quote:
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wellies!
frow.gif

Are you referring to Wellies that came from me when you say Pink Wellies? Or are you teasing me and I missed out on some pink chickens somewhere?
lol.png

I think they came from you hehehe, but they look different lighter and with more gold feathers on there neck? are they your breeder girls because I would love a few wellies like those lighter ones. Though I'm seriously not picky they are all beautiful and those speckled eggs are awsum. I have 1 Bl. sexlink that sometimes lays me a speckled egg, took me forever to find out just who was laying it..... but it;s my favorite egg I hate to eat them LOL there too pretty. Nexxt year I think if I get some more I will blow them and make ornaments out of those.
This is my BSL that lays the speckled egg maybe she is a cross with a wellie or something, my other 2 lay a darker egg but sadly no speckles.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/81831_daphniesuzieframed.jpg
Thats Daphne in the forground.

Thank you Ghostrider (Kim)! I am Kim also.
smile.png

I am not sure which photos of my girls you are referring to, but chances are what ever photo you saw, you saw birds that I use for breeding. I currently only have 3 molting hens and ever so patiently waiting for some eggs in hopes of a new rooster as my boy recently passed.
The egg ornaments are beautiful!

Quote:
Can Fred hear you talk like that?
lol.png

I would love to Roberta and Thank you soooooooo much for the offer, but I have been hoping for some eggs from Happy Chooks since early this year, I must have me some of her Moose boys kidlets running around here. I have been inlove with her rooster since she posted the very first photo of him. LOL! I would be half way there with a new roo if I had accepted eggs a few months ago when she offered, but I just had to say no and that I could wait.
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom