The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hi all
My Welsummers are my favorite! One issue however, they never go into their coop at night. They will be out in their yard in the dark. I have to herd them inside every night or they would stay out hunting bugs! Anyone else have this issue?

kailmarie,
How old are your wellies? How much time did they spend in your coop before you let them out into their yard? Do you have a 'night light' in your coop? (some do, some don't)

Several years ago I had a few pullets that wouldn't 'coop-up' at night, ....come dark, they preferred to roost on some pallets that were leaning up against the outside of the coop. I felt it was because they were being intimidated by some older hens.
Chickens have their own way of living life.
smile.png

I'd go out after dark and put them into the coop and after a while they got the idea and put themselves up. As I remember, they were hatchery chicks/pullets.

Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

atr seeing mixed opinions online, what do you guys think? will welsummers go broody?, i really want one again i use to have 2 and one went broody and id really like another one if theres a chance of it going broody

atr seeing mixed opinions online, what do you guys think? will welsummers go broody?, i really want one again i use to have 2 and one went broody and id really like another one if theres a chance of it going broody

Hello,

I have 2 of 5 that are broody right now. One hatched 7 chicks almost 5 weeks ago and the other one is setting 8 now.

Maye

I really want another one and would love it shed go broody, i want rather a light sussex or a welsummer

Back
Top Bottom