The Welsummer Thread!!!!

chicks4fun............they look really nice. They are still young and will go through a lot of changes, but they look good so far. You do want to minimize the gray fluff near his tail in breeding.

chicks4fun............they look really nice. They are still young and will go through a lot of changes, but they look good so far. You do want to minimize the gray fluff near his tail in breeding.
thanks, do you think it will get more gray/white? Any chance it can go away
fl.gif
If it does not I guess that means I shouldn't breed him. . . . too bad because he is such nice bird with a calm disposition.
Since my pullet came from the same breeder I am to assume that she will also not be good for breeding?

Here is a picture of my young Welsummer Rooster:

another pic of my pair:

How bad is it that he's recently gotten some white at the base of his tail?   
Does anyone have a picture of the "ideal" Welsummer?

He looks nice. I would encourage you to hold/pick-up your cockerel everyday. Our Welsummer turned out to be a little too aggressive for us. He was a big hit with the girls, but I had to start carrying a stick with me every outing to keep him from coming at me. He was very young and had no spurs, so he wasn't very dangerous.

The girls from the same set of hatching eggs are the BEST. They are the first to run to me and jump in my lap. I wouldn't rule out the girls because of the cockerel.

I think that there are many other qualities that you want to consider besides the white fluff. Size and temperament are WAY more important to me than a little white fluff. Others should be able to comment on those things better than me.

Patience usually is rewarded.

SkylinePoultry, what are the two lines you are currently working with. Just curious...

Janet

They're various lines I've been been working on a while now. I guess you could say they're mine. I've got one line with huge combs and the second line is a little smaller with a bigger sickle, which I prefer on a Welsummer.

He looks nice. I would encourage you to hold/pick-up your cockerel everyday. Our Welsummer turned out to be a little too aggressive for us. He was a big hit with the girls, but I had to start carrying a stick with me every outing to keep him from coming at me. He was very young and had no spurs, so he wasn't very dangerous.
The girls from the same set of hatching eggs are the BEST. They are the first to run to me and jump in my lap. I wouldn't rule out the girls because of the cockerel.
I think that there are many other qualities that you want to consider besides the white fluff. Size and temperament are WAY more important to me than a little white fluff. Others should be able to comment on those things better than me.
Patience usually is rewarded.
Thanks for the input--- I don't know much about breeding to standards but I do agree about the temperament. We had a very mean Polish Rooster that got re-homed as I got tired of being attacked each time I went outside, he was beautiful but nothing is worth that.
So far my guy eats out of my hand 7 always runs up to me. I do handle him but not every day. I will work on it. His temperament is why I am keeping even if he isn't a perfect Wellie. I know from my reading I have to wait for a molt or two to see what he will really look like.
Right now I want to find some nice hens. I have to start someplace. I posted his pic at a suggestion from someone here to get comments to start learning.

We hatched out two lines three weeks ago. The first are suppose to be Channing Grisham (bought through a third party). The other are Hall. The Hall eggs were absolutely beautiful and the chicks were big and vigorous at birth. I am anxious to watch them grow.

Back
Top Bottom