The whole flock is sick! how to save them?

tadpole98

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Missouri
Two weeks ago, I found a hen hunched up and gasping and choking and sneezing blood. Her eyes had junk in them and cheesey stuff started coming out her nose. I separated her and the next day found three more young pullets/cockerels having stuff in their eyes, but not sneezing. A few days later everyone was all better so I put them back in with the flock. In about 4 hours I went back down to the henhouse and 5 more had it, then that night i rounded up 2 more and put them up in a separate coop. the next morning a rooster got it, so he went up too. a few days later about 10 of them were sneezing (which is one of the symptoms of what they have, coryza). I instantly knew that I should not bother separating them and that everybody has it. sure enough right now every single bird has it. two days ago a black sex link passed away and i have a feeling some more are following after her.
From what I believe we have CORYZA. I would like to treat it naturally, but in this case I am willing to do whatever it takes to make them better. please do not say to cull, I will NOT cull, i want to know how to save them, not kill them. If I wanted to kill them they would be dead right now. Thank you.
smile.png

I would suggest tetracycline but you would probably have Tylan/Baytril or some other antibiotic in the USA - i am so sorry for your plight and I hope that antibiotics will help them to get better very soon.

It may be helpful to put ACV in their drinking water if you do not already do so.... just check with the Vet as how to administer any antibiotic as if it is to be added to their drinking water it may not be advisable to use ACV at the same time.

Suzie

I would suggest tetracycline but you would probably have Tylan/Baytril or some other antibiotic in the USA - i am so sorry for your plight and I hope that antibiotics will help them to get better very soon.

It may be helpful to put ACV in their drinking water if you do not already do so.... just check with the Vet as how to administer any antibiotic as if it is to be added to their drinking water it may not be advisable to use ACV at the same time.

Suzie
Thank you, this was very helpful
smile.png

Since you suspect Infectious Coryza, here's a link. Scroll down and read about it, as well as treatments. Do not mix anything, including ACV into sulfa based meds. BTW; you didnt mention if there were a foul odor enaminating from the head area of your sick birds. If not, most likely it's not Infectious Coryza.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Suzie
Baytril is banned for use in food animals here in the US. Read these:
http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/1382/62
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i32/8332baytril.html

I still use Baytril, but don't eat the eggs or meat of birds that I've treated with it.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago, I found a hen hunched up and gasping and choking and sneezing blood. Her eyes had junk in them and cheesey stuff started coming out her nose. I separated her and the next day found three more young pullets/cockerels having stuff in their eyes, but not sneezing. A few days later everyone was all better so I put them back in with the flock. In about 4 hours I went back down to the henhouse and 5 more had it, then that night i rounded up 2 more and put them up in a separate coop. the next morning a rooster got it, so he went up too. a few days later about 10 of them were sneezing (which is one of the symptoms of what they have, coryza). I instantly knew that I should not bother separating them and that everybody has it. sure enough right now every single bird has it. two days ago a black sex link passed away and i have a feeling some more are following after her.
From what I believe we have CORYZA. I would like to treat it naturally, but in this case I am willing to do whatever it takes to make them better. please do not say to cull, I will NOT cull, i want to know how to save them, not kill them. If I wanted to kill them they would be dead right now. Thank you.
smile.png
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it is Coryza, really you cannot make them well. Once they recover they will be carriers for life and will pass the disease on the other birds including wild ones. I had this same issue. My whole brooder was "filled" with great quality chicks that I had waited a long time for. They started sneezing "cheesy" stuff and their eyes swelled. I found out it was Coryza, and started to try to treat it. In the end I had to cull every one of my chicks because they would be carriers for life and I couldn't have a closed flock. I bawled like a baby for days. I'm so so sorry for bringing this up, but its the truth.

The only thing you could do (if in fact it is Coryza), is have a closed flock, like I mentioned earlier. It means you can't adopt or adopt out any birds. At all. Period. I'm so sorry for being so curt, but its true.

I treated them with natural substances, and they did get better. I treated them with: Garlic liquid, arnica, live culture kefir, white vinegar, raw coconut milk and then eventually antibiotics. I didn't see much of a change when I started the antibiotics but the natural substances helped alot.
Please keep us updated.

Quote:
sad.png
Then I suppose I wont be adding any new birds to that coop. Maybe to another one though :)

Quote: Thank you :)

Since you suspect Infectious Coryza, here's a link. Scroll down and read about it, as well as treatments. Do not mix anything, including ACV into sulfa based meds. BTW; you didnt mention if there were a foul odor enaminating from the head area of your sick birds. If not, most likely it's not Infectious Coryza.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
I dont THINK i smell anything, then again I havent checked. Maybe its just a little cold.

sad.png
Then I suppose I wont be adding any new birds to that coop. Maybe to another one though :)

Thank you :)

I dont THINK i smell anything, then again I havent checked. Maybe its just a little cold.
Please, please please.......
fl.gif

If you do that, make sure the other coop is far, far away. Coryza is very contagious.

Back
Top Bottom