The Winter granny square swap.

Still have only 5 babies. Six eggs to go and today is the 21st day. Will take pix later. I found a baby parakeet in the nest box this morning and two eggs. The other next box has four eggs in it and I hope they all hatch. There's another nest box but it's empty. My finches are on eggs also. Can't see how many because they use chicken featherws to line the nest and they're pretty well covered. The two bigger chicken eggs that hatched look to be silkies going off their color since I have a silkie splash about the color of the two bigger chicks. It's so much fun to watch them.

Oh how I wish I could hatch some of my own babies. No roo though, and no incubator, so I have to be content with buying my wee ones. April 19th is around the corner though, and I will have 6 to add to the flock of crazies. Who knew you could adore chickens so much!?!

My favorite part?? I ALWAYS have help with chores - no matter what I am doing!

Oh how I wish I could hatch some of my own babies. No roo though, and no incubator, so I have to be content with buying my wee ones. April 19th is around the corner though, and I will have 6 to add to the flock of crazies. Who knew you could adore chickens so much!?!

They certainly are adorable. I miss living with chickens. If I'm ever in AK, may I look you up and help with chores?

You need to get an incubator. I'd be happy to send eggs , just for the fun of it and see how things turn out.

Aletha, if you make it to AK, you can come see my chickens any time - you don't even need to help with chores.....and I'll even make you lunch!

Rancher hicks, you are such an enabler! I wont tell hubby you said that, and maybe I'll bat my eyes at him for an incubator for christmas! Or maybe the chicken sorting fairy will slip me an accidental roo and nature will do what it does ;)

Thank you.

Here's something fun. In December I ran out of yarn I could use for this swap. I was sick and packing for a trip, so just sent in the squares I had. I returned Thursday and a friend showed up with a lot of yarn for me. Included is most of a skein of Caron's 'mixed greens.' It is a variegated yarn with white, light and medium sage and a couple of pine greens. It's perfect for this swap. I'm in a sling now (not the fun part) and am limiting crocheting to small, simple (my brain is opiate encrusted) things, so I started making traditional grannies out of this yarn. It looks like pine trees flocked with snow.

Aletha, if you make it to AK, you can come see my chickens any time - you don't even need to help with chores.....and I'll even make you lunch!

Rancher hicks, you are such an enabler! I wont tell hubby you said that, and maybe I'll bat my eyes at him for an incubator for christmas! Or maybe the chicken sorting fairy will slip me an accidental roo and nature will do what it does ;)

Now I do have plenty of roos. Though I'm not sure the PO could get him there overnight. The last three shipments I got were late. I've got some nice Birchen Marans.

I haven't done anything with the squares I've gotten so far. I have plenty of afghans, but I was thinking. I got a pamphlet for the Central NY Cat Coalition and they have a sale to raise money. Last year they worked and neutered and spayed nearly 2,000 cats. Anyhow I thought perhaps to put the squares together to donate to the CNYCC.

They have a catch, spay/neuter and release program. They also have foster parents who take care of cats and or kittens til they find them homes.

I'm not really a cat person anymore but still they perform a great service, helping those who can't afford to have their animals fixed.

I am now regretting not having joined the current swap. Is there a current swap going on?

Please someone send me a pm when the current one is finished and a new one starts.

Last edited:
The current swap is due and I don't know of any others happening.

Am I the only one who hasn't gotten their squares? I won't be able to put them together until my shoulder heals, but am making them. The plan is to make an afghan which is an impressionistic, if not abstract, winter landscape.

The current swap is due and I don't know of any others happening.

Am I the only one who hasn't gotten their squares? I won't be able to put them together until my shoulder heals, but am making them. The plan is to make an afghan which is an impressionistic, if not abstract, winter landscape.

You should have your squares soon they have been mailed. There is a tracking # but I can't find the receipt. My office is a mess. I really need to clean and organize. I'm sure there is a lot to be tossed or shredded.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom