The wrong birds are eating the chicken feed

klyra

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
Our hens are in a large free range yard and have free access to their laying ration. They forage for bugs most of the day. Problem is, hundreds of small birds from everywhere fly in and eat the chicken feed all day long. They are fat and numerous. Every evening I refill the feeder because the local birds clean it out. How can I deter them? Unfortunately the hens don't mind them all all until they are the size of crows, and just let anything smaller help themselves. Any ideas or designs I can try to deter the local wildlife? Feeding them all is expensive.

Last edited:
That's a good question, I have the same problem, just to a lesser extent. We have two large barns that the chickens can be fed inside of, which helps. Covered feeders can also help, as can getting cats (we have cats that help keep the sparrows away). Our chickens also love to chase birds.

I hope you can find a way to deter them. Good luck!

Are you feeding layer pellets or layer mash? I keep my feeder inside the coop for 2 reasons it keeps the food dry in rain and it keep undesirables from eating it

Layer pellets, and its inside the henhouse.. The birds fly in there...

Layer pellets, and its inside the henhouse.. The birds fly in there...
They fly through the small chicken door? Or you have a large door open for the chickens? You could try hanging a burlap sack over the chicken door. Keep it slightly smaller than the door and push the chickens through it once or twice and they will do it on there own but it would keep small birds out. I have seen people do the same in front of there nest boxes and the hens still used them, don't see why it wouldn't work for the pop door.

They fly through the small chicken door? Or you have a large door open for the chickens? You could try hanging a burlap sack over the chicken door. Keep it slightly smaller than the door and push the chickens through it once or twice and they will do it on there own but it would keep small birds out. I have seen people do the same in front of there nest boxes and the hens still used them, don't see why it wouldn't work for the pop door.

That makes a lot of sense! It's not a pop door, its a larger door that swings but I can close it most of the way and try that! Thanks,I'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom