licking for several reasons. hygiene is a big one, of course. also, if you may be working with small children or the elderly you can have an injury from even the tiniest accidental encounter with a tooth. another is simply excitement - you want the dog to maintain a calm attitude during the visit

same goes for putting paws.
A lot will depend on the organization you decide to certify with.

licking for several reasons. hygiene is a big one, of course. also, if you may be working with small children or the elderly you can have an injury from even the tiniest accidental encounter with a tooth. another is simply excitement - you want the dog to maintain a calm attitude during the visit

same goes for putting paws.
A lot will depend on the organization you decide to certify with.

Thanks for all the info. That makes a lot of sense.

I never thought of that before but it makes sense - they seem like great dogs! Are they high energy?
I think they are a little I have never had one myself but my sister was looking for a diabetic service dog and they had lots of highly trained weimaraners, i know therapy dogs and service dogs aren't the same but they both need dogs that are calm and love people and I know for sure they love people and are very silly and try there hardest to make there owner happy

I think they are a little I have never had one myself but my sister was looking for a diabetic service dog and they had lots of highly trained weimaraners, i know therapy dogs and service dogs aren't the same but they both need dogs that are calm and love people and I know for sure they love people and are very silly and try there hardest to make there owner happy
I also might be adopting another bluetick coonhound from a shelter and I am thinking about making her a therapy dog

there is a huge difference in personality in the needs of a service dog and a therapy dog. A service dog must be OWNER oriented and ignore all other people. A therapy dog needs to seek and accept attention from anyone. So a dog that is an excellent service dog may not be a good choice for therapy work and vice versa.

All dogs are therapy dogs. However only a few are trained as such.

The key is to have a dog that enjoys people.

I'm biased to pits.. I think they make great therapy dogs you could ask anybody who's had many breeds of dogs they would say the Pitbull shows a level of affection at other dogs just don't have. But if you're going to see kids in the hospital let's say, a Pitbull might be too big of a breed. In which case maybe a Bichon Frise!

Back
Top Bottom