ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Sooo someone in my class brought their therapy dog to class today and he's adorable. His name is Kenneth aka Kenny and he's a professional good boy. :lau

20171120_170618.jpg

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has a therapy dog and also possible best breeds for it?

It's not exactly a new concept to me; I love therapy dogs and have always wanted to have one and/or thought about taking it further and specifically doing animal assisted therapy or physical therapy. I just think they're really cool and they help a lot. But I guess I'm more just thinking about it more now and I'm not sure I want the traditional breeds for it anymore. I know they use them for a reason but idk, I guess I want something a little more unique? Maybe not though.

Like for example, I know Labs, Goldens, Poodles, Doodles, smaller dogs, etc. etc. Could all be it but could say.... a Chinook? A husky? Leonberger? Boston Terrier? German Shepherd? Aussie (Australian Shepherd)? English Shepherd? All breeds I've considered, along with the traditional ones. Wasn't sure if they'd be friendly enough or too protective, etc.

This also reminds me: I met another therapy/comfort dog at a fair this summer. Obadiah.

2017-08-27 16.33.13.jpg 2017-08-27 16.33.35.jpg 2017-08-27 16.33.44.jpg

I know that (in my opinion) a pit bull can make an awesome therapy dog. And, I personally think that some of the best therapy dogs are either pit bulls, or have pitbull in them. Absolutely love the breed :love

Of course, there are plenty of other great service dogs out there that aren't pitbulls, but it's interesting to see the different breeds that can make a service dog.

Love the pics, btw.

I hadn't even though of a pit bull tbh but that is a great suggestion! Maybe I'll have to look into one :)

There's always tons at the shelters around here.

Although unfortunately I'm still living at home atm so I don't think I could get one as my parents are extremely opposed to them, along with any other "dangerous" dog. :(

But I probably wouldn't get one for a few years anyway so maybe once I am on my own I can :)

And thanks! I love dogs (and all animals) and I love taking pictures so I just had to take pictures of them! They were so adorable!

Yeah, the poor pit bulls don't have it easy, sadly. And their unfair reputation of being a 'dangerous dog' is completely wrong. Just like all dogs, it's how you raise them, but I guess a pit bulls body build and size often intimidates people more than an aggressive chihuahua.

Two of my dogs have pitbull in them (One is a pitty x red heeler x Blue heeler and one is Pitbull x Bull Arab) and they are amazing dogs. I'm a big advocate for pit bulls. (If you cant tell :D)

That would be awesome if you got a pitty! That's true, the shelters are often packed with them.

Goodluck! :)

Yeah, I definitely agree! I think part of the problem too is everything gets labeled a pit when in reality it might be a different breed or a mix and then pits take the blame :( or poorly bred ones or ones just left out, etc. And yeah, I think they're more intimidating plus they tend to do more damage. You're not likely to sue or report an attack if a Chihuahua bites your finger as you would be if a pit bull or shepherd etc. bit your arm. So there might be just as many, if not more, Chihuahua attacks but no one reports it. And also I HATE how little dogs get away with terrible behavior while big dogs are "bad dogs." Makes no sense! Like for example, a little dog snarling at someone for getting near the owner or for lunging, jumping up, barking at dogs, etc. might be "funny" or "cute" or "awwww look he's protecting mommy!" Whereas if a big dog does those EXACT SAME BEHAVIORS they are "aggressive", "mean", "vicious", "scary", a "bad dog", etc. It makes no sense to me and seriously annoys me. NO dog should be doing those things and small dogs should be held to the same standard and trained as well as big dogs. Which reminds me, why are most small dogs never trained? Another irritating thing haha not that I hate small dogs. I don't. There are some great breeds. But some people ruin them for me.

Sorry, now that that little rant is over, I bet your dogs are beautiful!

And yeah, it's sad how many are in shelters and sometimes around here I see the same ones on the site for a while :( no one wants them and they are banned from many housing and apartment complexes here :(

Thanks!

our local therapy dog group includes a couple mini-poodles, 3 caviler king charles spaniels, a rhodesian ridgeback, a standard poodle, a Samoyed, and my German shepherd. Also a couple great danes

our local therapy dog group includes a couple mini-poodles, 3 caviler king charles spaniels, a rhodesian ridgeback, a standard poodle, a Samoyed, and my German shepherd. Also a couple great danes

Wow that's a lot of different breeds! So I guess any breed can do it as long the individual dog has the right personality?

yes and even of the stereotypical "friendly" breeds like golden retrivers and labs, not every dog is going to be a good fit for therapy dog work.
You need a calm dog that enjoys attention from people. who will set quietly for petting, not put feet on people, not want to lick hands or faces, etc

Back
Top Bottom