Therapy ducks?

When I took my duckling to the nursing home, most just wanted to see her through the crate door, but a couple wanted to actually pet her and since she has only known people since being hatched and handled alot by me and my dh she is very calm about others touching her. I am looking forward to the day I can take her and my dog together and walk them down the hall so they can all see her and pet her. Now i am still working on training my dachshund to accept her as part of the family and not lick his lips everytime he is around her.

I take my disabled crested Rouen to visit my 90 year old mother on a regular basis. He enjoys the trips and she gets a kick out of seeing him.

Several times I've picked up lunch from a drive-through on the way. Every time I do this all the folks working at the restaurant come to the window to see the crazy lady with the duck. Dairy Queen gives him a Pup-Cup
smile.png

I was going to enroll him in the pet therapy program but he went through a "frisky" stage at about that time. He is calmer now, I should look into it again. I think a duck might be nice for folks who are allergic to cats and dogs.

I have a "special" duck named Twister. She was born with a seriously twisted neck. She is only a few days old, but is a spunky little fighter and appears to be otherwise healthy. She amazing learned how to drink and eat by herself despite being a little pretzel. Since her mom rejected her she is being raised in a brooder and has totally bonded to people. If she stays as friendly as she is now and manages to stay healthy despite her disability, I may have to get her a diaper and a harness and let her visit people. She liked visiting with the neighbors the other day. I came to the door when they knocked with her in my hands
big_smile.png

Thanks for sharing all your stories! I would LOVE to have (indoor, preferably
tongue.png
) therapy ducks, but my parents are vetoing getting more ducks
sad.png
Can't say I blame them, my flock has doubled since last year and they didn't really want ducks in the first place! I do have once of my ducks who seems naturally friendly and people-inclined. She's very sweet-natured and always hangs around near me when I'm outside, sometimes in lieu of being with the rest of the flock! She's also the first and quickest to run to me when I have treats, and comes up to say hi even if I don't. I'm going to try and work with her to see if she'll eventually allow me to touch, hold, and possibly diaper her and take her places. We'll see
smile.png

Quote:
I have an autistic son, as soon as he is home from school he heads straight to the backyard for some 'down time' with our duck and chooks, he has learnt how to feed them, water them, care for them. He has a 'special' chair that he sits in the middle of the yard and they all gather around him, he always has a HUGE smile on his face when he is with them. He is a totally different kid around them as well as learning some important skills. It's a beautiful thing to see
love.gif

I have friend with a sister that got bit by this bug when she was little and it totally erased her memory, she is pretty much autistic, which is pretty sad how she learnt her ABC's and everyhting and then this thing bit her.. but good news she really liked when i came over so we got married! Well not really, but when i get older i wanted to have therapy ducks for kids like her because animals seem to know about them and they turn into entirley differnt people when around them!

I've read a few things about autistic people being particularly receptive to ducks. Someone should do a study on that
smile.png
I have a cousin with autism, so I'll suggest we have them over to see my ducks sometime! (I have a gigantic family so I haven't even met half of them!) Animals do help people cope with things a lot! Recently my 4-H group took llamas to a veteran's hospital. One man who I was with with the llama I was handling was really receptive; he kept on talking to and petting the llama, and had this huge grin on his face! Later a nurse told us that he hadn't been responding to anything recently, he hadn't really been smiling or eating or talking at all. And the coolest part was that the llama could tell! He kept really calm and still for the guy and kept on sniffing him. It was really heartwarming
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom