There's A Wolf In My Living Room

Someone the other day asked me about food aggression and I think this a aspect many potential Wolf Dogs owners aren't aware of. Wolf Dogs depending on their content can be very food aggressive. This is especially true of High Contents. Due to their wolf content their Survival Instincts are very Strong. If you have more than one wolf dog every meal will be a fight. It's just their nature. That is why i would also advise to feed them in different rooms. Also NEVER EVER EVER feed other dogs (Especially Small Dogs)and Wolf Dogs near each other. This can lead to SERIOUS injury or DEATH depending on the two dogs temperament. Be prepared from DAY 1 for the possibility of food issues. As this video illustrates wolf dogs can be defensive over food from a very young age.

Sigh. While they are beautiful I haven't had good experiences with wolf dogs. Let me just say it is a bad idea to take your young wolf to a horse show on one of his first times out to socialize him. Worse idea not to have him on a leash. Epic bad idea to let him run around between the trailers to do his business while there are dozens of horses tied to the trailers.

As I believe Jamie said they do smell different. My old horse has been around every breed of dog in his life, including dozens of gsd. The old horse can pick out a dog with wolf or coyote in an instant and he is really not friendly after that.

Quote:
Thank you very much. I am trying to update the thread more often. Every day is a new learning experience with the pups.

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience. So far the only thing my pups have been interested in hunting is squirrels but I know as they mature more animals are likely to gain their attention. I also agree about the scent. Its hard to describe but It's defiantly different from a dog. However the scent is a little strong. I guess that comes in handy when the Wolf Dogs scent roll which they do quite often.

aoxa and
rodriguezpoultry-i knew poodles were at least 85% wolf.
lol.png

i have seen 2 wolf dogs in lifetime.i am a vet tech-retired after 15yrs.
one was brought in as a malamute cross to get his shots.big beautiful dog.we knew he was a wolfdog because the owner told us but he needed a rabies shot so he was a malaute mix.we had a puppy running around in the clinic and the puppy came up front.the wolfdog puppy was 2 months old at the time.when the other puppy came up to him,he arched his back and showed his teeth in a snarl.it was a submisive behavior but nothing like our pets would do.it definately interesting to watch him grow up.he was a big sweetheart.

2nd time,i was in san diego for awhile and living in an apartment. often did laundry late and came out into the hallway one night.at the other end of the hallway was a wolfdog staring at me.i instantly got chills.i knew right away what he was.he walked away and what did i do,go after him of course.i saw him one more time and he just looked at me and disappeared.no one believed me the next day until we started seeing all of the "lost dog" posters of a husky mix.yeah right.
he was found by his owners.

OP-beautiful dogs.there are alot of people out there who should not own ANY dogs, so as long as the correct information is given out,like you are trying to do,then all is good.

Last edited:
My Komondor hates wolf dogs and husky dogs. The Komondork were bred to protect the sheep from wild dogs. I always do my best to keep him from meeting up with these breeds. I do think that wolf dogs are beautiful animals.

Quote:
Thank You for sharing those stories
smile.png
. I've actually noticed the stare down behavior in my pups as well. Simba is notorious for it. He's not being aggressive hes just very careful. Many people find his stares to be intimidating even at this age. The submissive behavior is quite unique as well. So far my pups have been very submissive to the danes but I'm sure that will change once their mature.

Quote:
Your Komondor is gorgeous! I'm glad you are a responsible owner who recognizes your dogs instincts and prevent any incidents. Sadly many people don't understand how dangerous it can be when a aggressive dog is brought around a wolf dog. The territorial drive in wolf dogs is unbelievable in some cases. This can lead to serious injuries for both dogs and sometimes even fatal.

I have admit that the Komondor in my avatar picture is not my Puppy. I still can't figure out how to compress the kb on my own pictures. The breed of dog that I really wanted when I got my Komondor was a South Russian Ovtcharka. I had to respect that I wasn't up to the challenge 12 years ago. I could do it now, but we don't really have the place for another dog as big as a livestock guardian anymore. Puppy is 12.8 years now, and I can see his age. It is just a matter of time now before he leaves us. I think that we will settle for a white Puli for the next dog.

I did a lot of research about dog breeds, before I got my first Komondor. We were blessed to able to be owned by 2 of these dogs. It is a must to understand what the dog has been bred to do, and a person needs to understand how the dog thinks. Koms like all LSG dogs are independent thinkers, and problem solvers. An own need to respect that in these dogs. These types of dogs are some of the oldest known breeds of dogs.

Back
Top Bottom