These chicks looked sad so I brought them home

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
8AF13C80-F042-4A45-9CE2-EF47C207DFB9.jpeg

At my local tractor supply, these were listed as assorted bantams, a straight run.
I impulsively bought them and set up my brooder and mixed up some electrolytes and vitamins for them. There are 11 of them, some seem strong but others barely move. I’ll do my best with helping then, but I don’t think they’ll all make it.

Any tips for nursing sickly bantam babies?

Our set up;
image.jpg

They look like they may have been cold at TSC. Just keep them warm and enourage them to eat and drink. I find with bantams it is easier for them to eat the chick starter if you grind it up a bit. After a week, I start replacing with the stuff right out of the bag. Keeping electrolytes like nutradrench, which also has molasses, will help perk them up. All you can do and hope for the best!🥰

I use a product called "chick booster" by neurovet for my flock (image attached below as many products have similar names), both chicks and adults. It boasts a very long grocery list of vitamins, minerals & amino acids in a liquid form that is very easy to add to their water. I bought a one liter bottle years ago for about $17 (I think it was), and I'm still using that same bottle, it's highly concentrated. It apparently tastes good too, as my birds prefer the treated water over plain water! Kool-aid for birds, I guess (haha). Chick Booster improved the quality of my flock and their health significantly.

View attachment 2372563

I agree with above posters that they need electrolytes and are probably dehydrated to some degree.
I like Sav-a-chick electrolyte solution for their water. And Nutridrench.
You might also chop up one or two hard boiled egg yolks for them. Egg yolk is what they lived on inside the egg and it will give them a little protein and vitamin boost.
Make sure they are warm enough! That is important. And have them where they won’t get a draft.
Good luck. It’s so awesome that you rescued them. ❤️🥰

Three have died now with three more looking poor.
I had half-expected lose a couple on the ride home but am still surprised now at how fast they went.

Electrolytes and egg yolk have been provided. A few look quite lively and active now. They seem to have settled into their new home well enough.

I had the three weak ones drink a bit to try and keep them hydrated, I'll keep checking on them, and hopefully, we'll see these chicks recover.

Last edited:
The heat plate wasn't set properly at the store (a lot of people have reported this being an issue with these brooders and bantams especially) so they've been without adequate heat that entire time.

Hopefully you'll have some survivors but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more losses.

Best of luck - I'd also contact the store and explain the issue and hopefully they'll set up the brooder properly to avoid more losses.

The heat plate wasn't set properly at the store (a lot of people have reported this being an issue with these brooders and bantams especially) so they've been without adequate heat that entire time.

Hopefully you'll have some survivors but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more losses.

Best of luck - I'd also contact the store and explain the issue and hopefully they'll set up the brooder properly to avoid more losses.
Won't the TSC stores also replace the dead chicks if you take them to the store? I had heard they had that guarantee.

Won't the TSC stores also replace the dead chicks if you take them to the store? I had heard they had that guarantee.
Oh I hadn’t heard of that.
I might feel weird taking the four (we’re down to 7 now) dead chicks back to the store though. I’ve been putting them in the box for now so I can dispose of them respectfully.

Back
Top Bottom