They’re here!

Yes I would shred the newspaper and use a lid for water. I place a dime in the lid for something shiny until they figure it out. May have to fill the lid and clean often but shallow enough to not risk drowning
Thank you i will shred the pile of newspaper I have tomorrow and if I don’t get my hands on better alternatives I will replace current newspaper with shredded newspaper:)

Don't treat for cocci unless they have cocci.
Especially if they're silkies. I can't tell if they are or not "red lamp" lol.
Medicated feed is all you need, save the corid until you actually need it.:)
I will get a bucket of it tomorrow but I won’t put it in until I get some of that coxiod solution for their water :) thank you

Wow this is great do you know if pets at home do those waterers and also puppy training pads what a great idea I’ll go get some tomorrow and I’ll go look in my local pet shop to see what they have ! :))

I know my local pets a home do sell small poultry drinkers but I don't believe they are mushroom ones. The other type will be ok, it just doesn't have a dome that sticks out like the mushroom one. You could still put some pebbles into it regardless of which one you get :)

I personally wouldn't put the coxoid treatment into their water unless you've seen signs that they are potentially being effected by coccidiosis. From my chicks being young, I add Verm-X Herbal onto their water every so often. It says to use from 2 months plus but I made the decision to use before, I just don't use as much. I only really do this for my Silkie chicks though since their immune systems aren't the best. My other birds don't get it from being young. I wouldn't use it in your case.

Yes pets at home will do puppy pads but they may be more expensive. They'll still do the same job just make sure not to buy scented ones.

X20! Don't give them Coccidiosis meds unless they actually have the issue. It deprives the Coccidia of B complex vitamins ... which also deprives the chicks' bodies of them ... and they need it. Medicated chick feed is designed with just what new babies need, so that should be enough. It's usually available wherever poultry feeds are sold.
If you don't have medicated feed, just use regular chick feed. You can add some electrolytes to their water dish for a couple of days, if it makes you feel better, but don't medicate unless necessary.
I'd leave off introducing soil for when your Uncle returns from holiday. They'll be fine for a week without it and you won't have to worry about introducing new things to their little systems. We "mothering types" tend to over-do a lot, especially with tiny babies. Ask any second-time parent, and they'll tell you! So, the bottom line is, don't over-worry and over-think everything ... enjoy them!

Not silkies I don’t think just pekin bantams I don’t know why a picture of my silkie was attached I couldn’t get it off haha and ok that’s helpful thank you i will make sure to leave it out unless needed thank you :)

I know my local pets a home do sell small poultry drinkers but I don't believe they are mushroom ones. The other type will be ok, it just doesn't have a dome that sticks out like the mushroom one. You could still put some pebbles into it regardless of which one you get :)

I personally wouldn't put the coxoid treatment into their water unless you've seen signs that they are potentially being effected by coccidiosis. From my chicks being young, I add Verm-X Herbal onto their water every so often. It says to use from 2 months plus but I made the decision to use before, I just don't use as much. I only really do this for my Silkie chicks though since their immune systems aren't the best. My other birds don't get it from being young. I wouldn't use it in your case.

Yes pets at home will do puppy pads but they may be more expensive. They'll still do the same job just make sure not to buy scented ones.
Ah right Well I’ll get one from there anyways so I have one they can always change it when they come back from their holiday and I wonder if they do the training mats in home bargains?!? I’ll have a look and I won’t buy the solution unless I see symptoms then thanks!

X20! Don't give them Coccidiosis meds unless they actually have the issue. It deprives the Coccidia of B complex vitamins ... which also deprives the chicks' bodies of them ... and they need it. Medicated chick feed is designed with just what new babies need, so that should be enough. It's usually available wherever poultry feeds are sold.
If you don't have medicated feed, just use regular chick feed. You can add some electrolytes to their water dish for a couple of days, if it makes you feel better, but don't medicate unless necessary.
I'd leave off introducing soil for when your Uncle returns from holiday. They'll be fine for a week without it and you won't have to worry about introducing new things to their little systems. We "mothering types" tend to over-do a lot, especially with tiny babies. Ask any second-time parent, and they'll tell you! So, the bottom line is, don't over-worry and over-think everything ... enjoy them!
Okay that puts me a little more at ease haha thank you !

Wait. So you're only taking care of these chicks and once your uncle return, he'll take them back? If so, it's HIS responsibility to provide all the necessities for HIS birds, why are you spending money out of your own pocket and taking care of them? He should be the one paying you!

Yes sorry, my point wasn’t to say treat them right away, only if they showed symptoms.

Also, Do Not give silkies medicated chick feed. I’m unsure of Pekin but if silkies get medicated chick feed it can end up causing wry neck due to the excessive nutrients. I had a huge issue with my first batch of silkies getting wry neck, but once I switched their feed they did much better and no more getting wry neck.

Back
Top Bottom