They ate it :-(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by justmeandtheflock, Sep 11, 2009.

1. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I was standing on my deck last night watching the chickens and one squished up and layed an egg out in the run. I could tell it was soft shelled but went running down to get it anyway. It took me all of 30 seconds to get there and by the time I did the others had ripped it open and were gobbling it up while the poor shocked pullet stood there with her head cocked just stairing at it. I have 6 RSL that are 17+ weeks and I just saw my 1st egg on Tuesday. I got another on Wednesday (haven't checked yet today because I'm at work, shhhh). Both were hard shelled, large double yokers. I also have 19 12 week olds including 2 roos. I am guessing this was this pullets 1st egg cause she looked shocked. Now I'm wondering if anyone else laid any soft shelled eggs that were gobbled up before I got to them. I am really hoping that they don't start eating any of the good ones. [​IMG]

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Well, I got 2 more hard shelled eggs today [​IMG] A double yoker in the nest box and a tiny one in the sink [​IMG] So I guess we are OK.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  3. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    When our 9 girls first started laying we had 3 soft shell's, now we get nothing but hard shells. Good luck.

4. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes this behavior can be indicative of hens that are in need of a calcium supplement. You might want to make crushed oyster shell available to them. Egg eating is a habit you want to do everything in your power to discourage! Good luck for your future eggs! Awesome that they are laying double yolks so young!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by