They ate it :-(

justmeandtheflock

Overrun with ducklings :)
10 Years
May 27, 2009
NW NJ
I was standing on my deck last night watching the chickens and one squished up and layed an egg out in the run. I could tell it was soft shelled but went running down to get it anyway. It took me all of 30 seconds to get there and by the time I did the others had ripped it open and were gobbling it up while the poor shocked pullet stood there with her head cocked just stairing at it. I have 6 RSL that are 17+ weeks and I just saw my 1st egg on Tuesday. I got another on Wednesday (haven't checked yet today because I'm at work, shhhh). Both were hard shelled, large double yokers. I also have 19 12 week olds including 2 roos. I am guessing this was this pullets 1st egg cause she looked shocked. Now I'm wondering if anyone else laid any soft shelled eggs that were gobbled up before I got to them. I am really hoping that they don't start eating any of the good ones.
idunno.gif

Well, I got 2 more hard shelled eggs today
big_smile.png
A double yoker in the nest box and a tiny one in the sink
roll.png
So I guess we are OK.

Last edited:
Sometimes this behavior can be indicative of hens that are in need of a calcium supplement. You might want to make crushed oyster shell available to them. Egg eating is a habit you want to do everything in your power to discourage! Good luck for your future eggs! Awesome that they are laying double yolks so young!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom