They don’t like the coop

rc4au

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Montgomery, AL
I have 4 new pullets that I have put in my old pen that I have not used for two years, they have been in over a week and huddle in corner at night and won’t go into coop to roost. I have placed them inside several times but they just keep coming out. Any advice on getting them to roost in the coop at night?

What does your coop setup look like? (inside and outside photos please)

They may just take a while to go in on their own
They go up and down the running board all day long but just won’t use it at night

Attachments

• EBEA2ADA-BCC8-4E79-A777-D39D1A2D6661.jpeg
    EBEA2ADA-BCC8-4E79-A777-D39D1A2D6661.jpeg
    663.5 KB · Views: 22
I have 4 new pullets that I have put in my old pen that I have not used for two years, they have been in over a week and huddle in corner at night and won’t go into coop to roost. I have placed them inside several times but they just keep coming out. Any advice on getting them to roost in the coop at night?
Put them in every night and shut the door so they can't come out till morning. They just need to get used to their new coop. Also, feeding them in there in the evening can make them want to go in around roosting time.

They don't look very old. So where are they sleeping at night? Outside on the ground in the run? And how many do you have? I suggest you go out after dark, put them in the coop and shut the door. If they continue to sleep outside, pretty soon you won't have any, as predators will find them. You need to teach them bedtime means coop time.

x2. Can you get photos from further back so we can see the entire coop. My guess is lack of lighting, space or ventilation are issues, but hard to tell without more info/more photos.
Dark right now, but I have used this been for several others I we the years, these are the first to not coop, I am going to follow others advice and close them up at night in the coop for a week or so. But thank you for your response

Back
Top Bottom