They dont love me.

Rich Marshall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
I have 6 day old chicks and I want them to be as friendly as possible. We try to hold them but they keep running away and chirp loudly. At what point do they start relaxing with people?

Well it really depends on the chicks more than how you try to do with them. Obviously if you hold them wrong or try to pick them up in a way that they instinctively do not like then they won't respond well.

When my chicks just hatched they loved to be held and often fell asleep in your arms but now that they are older, hate to be picked up. They do not mind being "played" with. They'll sit in your lap and everything else but hate being picked up.

Basically all I can say is try to wait em out.

I am new to chick ownership. My chicks are a week old and I have had them since they were a few days old.

They are not fans of being picked up. Some will even peck at my hand when I put it in the brooder. But every day they get a bit more used to it. They all for the most part enjoy being held and do fall asleep while I massage them. I think it's just going to take time for them to learn that my hands airn't monsters that snatch them away from the others.

Ive had my leghorns about a year now, they're very skittish. Don't even like to be near people. Maybe it's the breed or just the chickens themselves :/

I sit down in the coop on a cushion, legs out straight. I dribble something edible on my legs and some climb up & get used to being there. I also put food in my hands and just rest them on the floor at my sides. They learn to eat from my hands. As they are close by, I reach out and stroke one wherever my hand lands. That's how I began with my chicks.

I tried that with dried meal worms today. They love the treat, petrified of me. Will not eat from my hand. You'd think I kick them or something. Are certain breeds predisposed to nervous behaviors?

Did I miss it or did you say what breeds they were?? I do agree that leghorns are really flighty, I only have one pure leghorn but have 4 of her mixed daughters and they are way worse than there Momma, go figure! LOL

I have 6 day old chicks and I want them to be as friendly as possible. We try to hold them but they keep running away and chirp loudly. At what point do they start relaxing with people?

One thing I've learned. If you swoop down from above, they will freak out. I will lower my hand slowly on the opposite side of the brooder, then once it's at their level I will move sideways toward them. They don't get the RUN, IT'S A HAWK, sense that way. Quite often I will have a little chick starter in my hand and let them come to me. Also, they allow their crop areas to be touched more readily than their heads/backs, probably that same flight reaction when coming from above. When I pick them up, also I come from below and scoop them into my hand instead of the grabbing from above approach. Once they are old enough for treats, a few mealworms will have them eating out of your hand!

Of course, this also depends on the breed. I have Orpingtons and Brahmas, both pretty calm and friendly breeds.

Back
Top Bottom