They LOVE Tuna Fish!!!

AZchickenchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
I was feeding my dogs tuna from a can and gave some to my 3 hens and they went BERSERK! Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? They won't start laying till April...maybe it will make their eggs fishy...yuck

Quote:
Flu vaccine contains mercury and is regularly injected into humans - so go ahead and eat tuna, just skip the flu shot
lau.gif

Fish adds Omega 3 to your eggs. Makes them healthier.

I give mine fish every week. This week they all fought over 4 talapia fillet's. Sometimes I give them pollack most often I open a can of salmon and watch them fight over it.

As a treat, once or twice a week I will open a can of tuna, ocean fish, or other fishy cat food. The cost is under 1.25 for four small cans. The birds absolutly love it. When they hear me pop the lid off the can, they come running.

How young is it fine to give them tuna tho?
I have a chick that is kinda clingyb to me and was hanging around as I was making some and it snuck some. Just like residue off the can.
It was really excited about it, but I thought I should ask before I think about actually giving it some more.
Its going to be three weeks soon. Like in one day.

The light tuna should be fine... the albacore tuna seems to have more residual mercury, and it is recommended to only consume 1 can per week, especially for expectant mothers. Once in a while as a treat to the chickens won't hurt them. We always seem to wind up with extra salmon and halibut from the previous fishing season, and anything freezerburned or really old gets boiled up and fed to the chickens for extra protein. They LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom