They Told Me So

2 E's farm

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2018
I have had quail chicks for 3 days now, so I know very little. One thing they told me was to make sure my chicks stay dry. I take my kids to the park for an hour and two of the chicks got wet from the water tower. They were deader than dead when we got back. Sucks! Lesson number 1: secure your water!

It's a steep learning curve that's for sure. At a week old the warmest part of your brooder should be around 90. There should be cool spots were they can get away from the heat.

I switched to a quail waterer to prevent water related issues. Was tired of dealing with wet chicks. It's more narrow so they can't step in the water. They still manage to poop in it though. Go figure.

I use marbles in my water for the quail for the first 2weeks. They can fall asleep fast while standing near the water and drown. Brooder should be warmer as well. What are you using to heat it (lightbulb, heat plate)? Sorry to hear you lost chicks. I’m sure you and your kids are sad.

They died of the cold. The chicks were about a week old, and the brooder hovers around 80.

Back
Top Bottom