They won't come in, out of the rain!

I see it's been awhile since the last post. We haven't seen a real downpour (we are having one right now) in several months and most (98%) of our hens have never been in a rain storm. Anyway, I thought I would check out BYC for information about why chickens don't get in the coop when it's raining. They are running around like they are lost in the storm (which I don't blame them). Thing is, they won't seek shelter or go in the coop. Feeling bad for them cause it's already getting dark and the rain is still coming down. I live in the hill country, west of San Antonio and we need this rain so much! Thank God for the rain!

Last edited:
I wish I would have read this last week. I bought one of those cute small coops with attached run that is only 2 1/2 tall. I have 2 small calico millie fleurs in there. It was new to them, only a few days. It started raining pretty good the other day a nd they did not go in. So I got on my hand and knees crawling in the short run (on chicken poop to catch them and put them inside. They were drenched and I worried they would get sick. But I honestly think they were mad at me for putting them inside. I just did not want them to get sick..... I'm thinking maybe next time I will wait it out and see what they do on thier own. I did put a piece tin over half the run for "some" cover when not in the coop.

Last edited:
what mine do if they are out is stand under the porch until it stops, but i do lock them in the coop at night, if they are out when it starts they run for the porch, although i have a few that seem to enjoy it and are oblivious

Since I live in Texas, and we've had no real rain for months I don't know how my girls are going to act when it does rain. It's like we have an umbrella over the state. But there is a 30% chance for rain this afternoon so we'll see how my girls react. Come on rain!!!!!!

'Fraid these French-born chickens of ours are a wimpy bunch, won't shift their fuzzy arses off the patio even if it's only drizzling. The ISAs might risk a run through the rain if they see something worthwhile but the rest...I've got soaked trying to get them back in the coop come night-time.

My chickens love the rain just about as much as they love a big dusty hole; like someone mentioned, lots of bugs and worms. I think I want them inside to prevent the muddy mess they will make more than for their benefit.

my chickens stays out in the thunderstorms. lightning and thunder:D
big_smile.png
i wouldnt say very smart

I have a little buff orpington gal who went broody at 5 weeks and 1 week of age. She successfully hatched three baby chicks (whose mothers were the same age as the buff gal) two days before she turned six months old, and was a great mother to the babies.

Back
Top Bottom