They won't stop eating!!!!!

Quote:
So far, I've noticed very little waste. I have the feeder up on a 2x4. I took them out of the brooder yesterday and into a small run outside while I cleaned the brooder. I want poking through it all, and could not have strained out enough food to make any difference. They are seriously eating nearly a quart a day between them. I have one of those other feeders, with the slide top. I'll try that and see if I'm missing something. But I really think they're eating that much, LOL.

If your right about the feed then your wrong about the animals. They ain't chickens, their hawgs!

What breed?

I have 25 chicks, they'll be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. I fill their quart jar feeder twice a day. Most of the time it's empty when I go to change it. Occasionally there is a little bit of feed left, and I sprinkle it around on the shavings, to encourage them to scratch around a bit. And, yes, they are growing like crazy. It's hard to believe the change in just 2-1/2 weeks!

I have 33 two week olds. They are eating about 2 quarts a day, give or take a little. Everybody is happy, healthy and growing like crazy
wee.gif

Oy...so what should I do? Limit their food intake? Seems they are growing wonderfully, and I wouldn't want that to stop! And with 18 more hatching out in the next day or two...

I ration feed once they are brooded out at 6 weeks and beyond, but it takes some experimenting to find their correct portion. One can work off the adage of 4 oz of feed per day and increase it to 5 to 6 oz as required. If there is feed left in the trays when they go to roost, it is too much.

As for chicks in the brooder, it is just an "all they can eat" method. Just be sure there isn't waste happening.

Last edited:
I suspect that you've got something else enjoying your feed. That's a lot for 3 chicks. Probably what I feed 25 ducklings every day.

Even if they are wasting it, you see an absolute mountain of spoiled feed. It'd be hard to miss an entire quart of feed tossed on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom