They're on the way! Brooder is ready.

Better, yes.
Is the pad on top of that quilt thing?
Ideally, the pad should be right on the rack(or under it),
so the chicks can touch their backs to the pad,
and the rack should be adjustable for height.

Agrees with @blackdog043, I wouldn't worry about temps or drafts in room(cardboard walls should block most drafts).

I missed seeing that the pad may be on top of that flowered quilt thing. Yes it should be directly on the rack or under it held on with small bungee cords. I have mine on top and aarts is bungeed underneath.
My first time using the mhp, I used pieces of 2 x 3 to raise it up when needed, now I have bolts to make it easier.
I cover my pad with press and seal then tape an old hand towel on top of the pad. This is just showing the pad, with my adjustable bolts.
20190217_163937.jpg

Better, yes.

Agrees with @blackdog043, I wouldn't worry about temps or drafts in room(cardboard walls should block most drafts).

That quilt thing is a pillow sham. The pad is inside that. Then placed directly on the rack. (Trying to keep the pad clean) Its a really thin cotton barrier between the pad and rack. Not sure if the chicks can press against it. It's about 3 inches high, not sure how tall the chicks are yet. I had it under the rack but it was only about 2 inches off the floor. I can swap it I designed the cover with top ties to fasten it to the underside of the rack.
I have risers to raise the rack..later.

That quilt thing is a pillow sham. The pad is inside that. Then placed directly on the rack. (Trying to keep the pad clean) Its a really thin cotton barrier between the pad and rack. Not sure if the chicks can press against it. It's about 3 inches high, not sure how tall the chicks are yet. I had it under the rack but it was only about 2 inches off the floor. I can swap it I designed the cover with top ties to fasten it to the underside of the rack.
I have risers to raise the rack..later.
Ah, so bottom of sham is thinner material and not quilted?
That should be fine.

Can you bend back legs of frame to lower it an inch?
Good to have pad at an angle so they can 'pick' the best spot.
Does rack have long openings or small square ones?

Ah, so bottom of sham is thinner material and not quilted?
That should be fine.

Can you bend back legs of frame to lower it an inch?
Good to have pad at an angle so they can 'pick' the best spot.
Does rack have long openings or small square ones?

I just switched the pad to the underside of the rack. I can angle the rack. Yes the underside (to the chicks is thin material and not quilted).

The rack is one of these stackable racks with built in legs. The chick have access to it through the long front side and the 2 short sides.
20190424_044646.jpg
20190424_044646.jpg

Ready or not I should be getting the phone call from the post office in the next hour.

I missed seeing that the pad may be on top of that flowered quilt thing. Yes it should be directly on the rack or under it held on with small bungee cords. I have mine on top and aarts is bungeed underneath.
My first time using the mhp, I used pieces of 2 x 3 to raise it up when needed, now I have bolts to make it easier.
I cover my pad with press and seal then tape an old hand towel on top of the pad. This is just showing the pad, with my adjustable bolts.
View attachment 1750097

The quilt is a pillow sham with the pad inside. Thin cotton to the chicks. I flipped it so the pad is underneath.

Back
Top Bottom