MurphFarm

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
One of our chickens does not lay in the baskets. She consistently lays on the ground of the coop.

Her eggs always have a thick gooey cover layer, almost like a discharge. Is this a thick bloom/cuticle? What is this? Is it a sign of sickness? help! I have attached pictures of the egg she laid today.
It is super thick, sticky, it is a yellow/whiteish color.
Would love to know what it is/what it means for the chickens health.

thank you!

One of our chickens does not lay in the baskets. She consistently lays on the ground of the coop.

Her eggs always have a thick gooey cover layer, almost like a discharge. Is this a thick bloom/cuticle? What is this? Is it a sign of sickness? help! I have attached pictures of the egg she laid today.
It is super thick, sticky, it is a yellow/whiteish color.
Would love to know what it is/what it means for the chickens health.

thank you!
F0D11E6A-1857-414E-A058-A096F2DBE381.jpeg

That's not right.

Looks like albumen?

Sorry I'm no help. Does her vent look OK? Does she have any discharge generally?

They normally squeeze out a lubricant that blooms the egg but it dries really quickly and isn't gelatinous like that.

I think it looks like albumin too. Most of the time that a hen passes a ruptured or shell less egg they are fine, but keep an eye on her. If she acts off, she could have an infection. I’ve had dozens of busted eggs laid by hens and so far they’ve all been fine, but there’s always a chance.

I think it looks like albumin too. Most of the time that a hen passes a ruptured or shell less egg they are fine, but keep an eye on her. If she acts off, she could have an infection. I’ve had dozens of busted eggs laid by hens and so far they’ve all been fine, but there’s always a chance.
Should we not eat the egg in case of infection?

So, never a goo-less egg from that hen? Are you sure of which hen is laying gunky eggs? Or just ‘one of them’? (Seems unusual enough that it isn’t likely to be multiple hens doing it...)
Kinda seems like her “conveyor belt” is wonky. Like maybe she’s producing gobs of albumen (egg white) in between yolks, so it gets passed down into the shell gland just as the egg is making its way out, thus it shows up gooped onto the shell of the exiting egg.

Please provide a few more details:
  • How old is the hen in question?
  • What breed?
  • What do you feed, including all supplements & treats. (Include amounts)
  • Has she ever laid any soft-shelled or shell-less eggs?
  • Is vet care an option?

Should we not eat the egg in case of infection?
I don’t think it’s an infection— yet, anyway. Typically, infection byproducts are nastier.
If you want to be super cautious, you can cook her eggs, shells & all, and feed them back to the chickens. Actually, if you hard boil her eggs, drop them in still covered in goo— then if it looks like cooked egg white, you’ll know it’s albumin.

Looks like albumen and extra membrane.
Counter peristalsis.
Fully shelled egg backed up in the system and got more albumen and membrane.
Are all her eggs like this?
How long has she been laying?
Not sure what can be done about it, other than hope it works itself out.

Back
Top Bottom