Georgeschicks

Songster
Jul 5, 2017
baltimore maryland
Hey!

My two year old Delaware hen has been laying extremely weird eggs lately. I have found smashed eggs in the coop with other eggs untouched that are in the same box. The egg shells are super thin and break almost upon contact. I always make sure they have oyster shells and they have feed with calcium in it already. This has been going on for a while. Her comb is still red so I don't know if this is a calcium deficiency thing or something else.

Thanks!

Is she getting enough sun? Calcium is absorbed with vit D.
Also is going through any stress ie; coop changes, flock changes, predators hanging out etc. that can cause thin or absent shells as well.‍♀️

Hey!

My two year old Delaware hen has been laying extremely weird eggs lately. I have found smashed eggs in the coop with other eggs untouched that are in the same box. The egg shells are super thin and break almost upon contact. I always make sure they have oyster shells and they have feed with calcium in it already. This has been going on for a while. Her comb is still red so I don't know if this is a calcium deficiency thing or something else.

Thanks!
How long is "a while"...how many days, weeks, months??
She may not be eating the oyster shells.
Do you feed other foods or treats?
Do they free range?

Have you checked her over real well for a swollen belly and external parasites?

Is she 24-36...or 36-48 months old?
She may be ramping down production prior to molting,
depending on....
Where in this world you are located.
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-5_7-36-59.png

How long is "a while"...how many days, weeks, months??
She may not be eating the oyster shells.
Do you feed other foods or treats?
Do they free range?

Have you checked her over real well for a swollen belly and external parasites?

Is she 24-36...or 36-48 months old?
She may be ramping down production prior to molting,
depending on....
Where in this world you are located.
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1899033
Hi! It’s been about two months. She actually stopped laying for two or three weeks and when it kicked back up two months ago her egg shells have been thin. my chickens don’t free range and i feed vegetable scraps pretty regularly. there is calcium in her feed which i know she is eating.

Mine tend to do that just before they go into molt but it's usually one 1-2 as they start shutting down to molt as they won't lay, but molt is usually done within a month, this year though one of my 2.5 year olds seemed to have a really hard time getting through molt but weather has been really crazy here too. sometimes when they restart laying you will get a few too as system gears back up

Hi! It’s been about two months. She actually stopped laying for two or three weeks and when it kicked back up two months ago her egg shells have been thin. my chickens don’t free range and i feed vegetable scraps pretty regularly. there is calcium in her feed which i know she is eating.
I'd cut out all scraps.
Layer feed is meant to the sole ration.

Back
Top Bottom