Things I should know?

Gvnam

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
Hey!

Sometime this week, I should be getting 4 or so black star (black star, black rock, black sex link) chicks.is there anything I should definitely know about taking care of day old chicks or is it as easy as taking care of a couple week old chicks?

Food, water, warmth and shelter. That's about it! Something to keep them contained with paper towels and/or pine shavings for bedding and a CHICK waterer so they can't drown.

Yes there is a very important thing about baby chicks-- don't forget to.....ENJOY them--they grow up to darn fast. LOL!!!!! Mine are 11 weeks now. I had got them when they were 2 days old. Every day or even every hour something changed on them- a wing came in, a feather grew, they lost down, Before I knew it they were full grown.
One thing you should be on the look out for is pasty butt.
Good luck with your chicks!!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
lorain's fids :

Yes there is a very important thing about baby chicks-- don't forget to.....ENJOY them--they grow up to darn fast. LOL!!!!! Mine are 11 weeks now. I had got them when they were 2 days old. Every day or even every hour something changed on them- a wing came in, a feather grew, they lost down, Before I knew it they were full grown.
One thing you should be on the look out for is pasty butt.
Good luck with your chicks!!
jumpy.gif

x2 mine are growing so fast, 6 weeks Monday on 10 them and 3 weeks on the remaining 2! They change in color and attitude! I have a BO that is so friendly, she is a doll, we call her Sundrop
smile.png

103921_babies_6_13.jpg

Quote:
x2 mine are growing so fast, 6 weeks Monday on 10 them and 3 weeks on the remaining 2! They change in color and attitude! I have a BO that is so friendly, she is a doll, we call her Sundrop
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/103921_babies_6_13.jpg

x3 my rhode islands are growing up too fast!

Quick question: as I'm on my iPod typing this with my chickens near by, they keep making this low trilling sound... What fries it mean????
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom