Things I wish I'd known before I got a Farm...

hugs.gif

Things will work out, Chiknlady--It sounds like you've had a rough time recently but things will get better. I too live in SE PA and although the suburban sprawl is getting closer every day, there are too many conveniences we're not willing to give up just yet (public water, public sewer, natural gas, cable tv). Think about all the changes you'll have to make in your daily lifestyle before committing to a new unfamiliar location. A change may be just what you're itching for but you're smart to think this thru before taking the leap. Spend a whole day in your new target location and see what you think. Sometimes a place just "feels" right or wrong. Trust your instincts and the feeling you get as you're driving there. Do you feel dread or excitement? I bought our house because although it was homely and badly in need of TLC, the property just felt 'right' and felt like I belonged there...Felt like home and still does 17 yrs later. Best of luck to you!!!!

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to read all the posts (I'm in the middle of something). I can tell you a few things we found out after we bought this place.

Murphy's Law was written for farms. Not kidding!

Check for water damage in the basement (snoop for it)

Check the local zoning laws to see what you can and can't do.

Talk to neighbors about the water situation.

Make sure you get the mineral rights.

Get off the grid if you can.

Check EVERY fence to see if it is up before you sign anything. It may seem like an easy task to fix a fence but its the time it consumes that gets you.

Make sure the outside faucets are hooked up to water and not just stuck in the ground way out by the barn (yes, it happened here)

And enjoy the farm when you get it! They are time consuming and keep you very busy but they are wonderful! Back to soaking water up out of my basment now...........

Opps ETA: Invest in a tractor if you buy more than five acres. Hiring one can be expensive and they don't always show up to work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom