Things you never said until you had chickens.......

Most of my students are classical pianists, K-12, many are gold medalists in local piano competitions. So I tell them, "every piano teacher should have a rooster on their head".... and show them my picture of Eddy ...

Recent phone call to local grocery store
Me: hi yes I am calling to see if you have any produce scraps
Employee: um yes we throw them away
Me : please put some aside my babies would love it
Employee: babies don't eat scraps you need real food me: their chickens they love that stuff
Employee: so you want me to keep it for you and not throw it away ok no problem
Later that day go to store get groceries and scraps chasier: rings stuff up sees bag asks what is that trash
Me: no goodies for my baby chickens
Cashier: dumbfounded look huh?

Oh forget it lol they just don't get it

before closing the bulkhead doors to the cellar, there was a nice big grasshopper on the edge - calling to my granddaughter (3 1/2) to come get it, the handyman looking on... she snatched it up and delivered it to my broody and her 4 chicks saying (and laughing) "Here you go Peach, a fat bug for your babies, I'll find you a frog!" Handyman just blinked. later, he said "I thought she might put it in a jar... or set it free... poor bug." but he had to admit, she's a smart chicken keeper!
Startin' 'em young!!! ;D

"Get that chicken off the roof!" (When our bantam Phoenix flew onto our roof after I forgot to clip he wings)
"You covered the chicken!" (When my mom put a blanket to dry over my house chicken who was roosting on the couch)
"Don't worry. Chickens can eat spiders. We just have to capture Cleo, somehow." (After my younger sister and I discovered a huge, hideous spider in her room, and were brainstorming how to get rid of it without touching it.)
"Get out of my dinner!" (When May charged my dinner and fell in my mac-and-cheese)
And so on... :rolleyes:

Me: "If I HAVE to feed the predator population, why can't they eat the ugly chickens?"

"Mom, chicken poop happens. Try watching where you step. And wipe your feet before coming in!"

"Turkeys are more snuggly than chickens. They also don't crow 24 hours a day...Need ....more....turkeys....!"

"I can't grow the grass fast enough to feed the birds. Can't wait until spring when they have acres of green stuff to eat."

"NOW what's eating my birds!!!!! I thought I shot all the coons!"

Last edited:
Startin' 'em young!!! ;D
Gotta start 'em as soon as they won't squeeze a chick to death in my humble opinion... she's gotten a lot of experience here - I try to time hatches with her arrival, but since I only have a broody hen, I'm sometimes off by a week... she's constantly picking someone up - chicks, banty roosters, even a few LF hens will let her pick them up, or one of the cats... she's quite the wrangler...

in the 3rd pic, she's holding a really big salamander that she "rescued" from the local cavern, where we were hunting for "Pixie Dust"

she even hugs one of my LF Roosters, he's extremely gentle... but she's fearless... and the chickens delight her... she has "animal lover DNA"

and she's a "City Kid"................ back home, her favorite thing to do it go to the zoo...

Back
Top Bottom