Things you never said until you had chickens.......

"The chickens are singing again."

"No, you're not an inside chicken." (said to chicken that found its way into the kitchen. again.)

"I'm just going to kiss the chickens goodnight."

"The chicken is NOT a beautiful songbird."

Just call me "Dances with Chickens" After trying unsuccessfully to chase our chickens out of the neighbor's yard. I think I went around the bushes about 10 times before I gave up.

one of my EE lays blue eggs very regularly that have a good hard shell. One day my son went out to collect eggs and found a blue egg with a soft gummy shell.
He said "I think Hawkeye farted and and egg fell out early"

Alas, I have done left eggs in my coat pockets twice also.
tongue.png

I was making pasta, cracking eggs into a well in a mound of flour. The side of the well gave out and an egg (sans shell) started to run out. Not knowing what else to do, I leaned against the counter top and the raw egg slid into my front pocket. That was about 25 years ago, and my son still reminds me of it.

melgauthier, that is a great, funny first post! Welcome to BYC!

One morning this past spring my Brahma roo, a good roo, momentarily lost his mind as I set a dish of treats down. He had an issue with my new red wool hat, I caught a toe nail along side of my mouth and had a shallow but bloody 4'' scratch. Later that day our long time UPS man comes to the gate, I walked out to get the package. As he stepped out of the truck he started to say hello but his jaw dropped and his eye brows shot upward. Then his mouth clamped shut, eye brows stayed up. Things I never said until I had chickens? 'It was the rooster, not a bar fight. I got complacent and the rooster got me'. (FYI: Ginger the roo is alive and well, he went through a brief intensive rooster reform training and I do not set dishes down until he moves, as directed, a few feet away from me.)

Wow, even more new folks dropping in!
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
! i've been working so much, I haven't had much time to pop in lately... but my gang turned 19 weeks old today and i had to tell them that despite happy birthday wishes... i want to see some eggs or no more pie for you! now, this may sound petty, but it is a very serious threat... here is there latest "pie"

A couple of weeks after getting our first chickens (a hen and 2 roosters), we had a really bad thunderstorm. When it started thundering, we went out to put the chickens up and couldn't find the roosters. We heard one crow in the woods so we went in looking for him and found him, but couldn't find the other. While my son was putting that rooster up, I looked for the other one. I couldn't find him so I starting calling "bock bock bock" and after a few times, he called back. I was able to find him and get him put up just in time. During the time we were running through the woods to get the rooster, lightning was striking very close to us, so I threatened the rooster with "if I get struck by lightning and I live through it, I will have you for supper tomorrow night!" I would never have guessed that I would be walking through the woods saying "bock bock bock", and then threatening a rooster.

CountryAgain, i can so relate! at the end of July we had a major storm, the downpour was torrential and my birds were out... so i go running out (no hat) and find half of them in the big lilac, and the other half under my truck, phew, at least they have really good cover! then it started to hail... quarter size chunks of ice whacking me on the head... but i endured the storm with the gang in the lilac, ice was penetrating, but only the pea size pieces thankfully... i told them to budge up and make room for Mother and crawled inside the lilac with them... we were pretty drenched when it was done, but the gang under the truck were completely dry and fluffy... and here we come all bedraggled and sopping... i think the dry group snickered when they saw us...

Back
Top Bottom