Things you wish you could say

Please don't think of yourself as "just" a lunch lady. You are an important person in the school organization. I worked in elementary schools for over 20 years and would never accept 'you're just the librarian' from staff, students or parents.

While I certainly encountered bad behaviour from students, I had staff support to deal with in as I saw fit. Spending recess stamping date due slips wears pretty thin very quickly. Instead I focus on remembering the wonderful students I encountered over the years, and they are the majority. With them, our future is in good hands.

I do believe there is a societal problem when children don't learn how to deal with failure, and believe the world revolves around them.

One of my favourite stories comes from a kindergarten teacher. At an intake interview, the parents were explaining to the teacher how their precious child had never been told no. The teacher responded that their child was about to learn the meaning pretty quickly.
I appreciate and understand what you mean about being "just" a lunch lady or librarian. We really are the back bone of the school, us behind the scenes people. I'm very much ok being "just a lunch lady" because I'm the lunch lady no student likes to mess with! I'm a very nice person but if you misbehave, you will deal with the consequences, and chances are, you will not like them. I don't let students disrespect or not listen to me. When this lunch lady says something, you are darn right the students listen! Our lunch monitors let the kids walk all over them, not me. I even had two male lunch monitors tell me that they need to be more like me, I don't need a microphone to be heard. When I walk into the gym(one of the three places the kids eat this year) and I see first graders jumping off of desks and doing push ups on tables, we are going to have problems. If 5'2" little me can control these children, then two males who are six feet tall better do it too!

we have a generation of children raised to think there are no losers, everyone is a winner--thereby eliminating need to try your best. Hearing "no" , or "stop" is considered bullying/harassment
They did that with my son's tball team when he was younger. He hated playing tball but I didn't let him quit. He was committed to the end of the season. He hated going and wasn't very good at it, slacked off a lot. So when the awards ceremony rolled around and every kid got a trophy just for showing up, we did not go. My son asked why and I told him because he didn't put any effort forth, he didn't deserve the trophy. I don't care that he doesn't really like sports, he doesn't have to. But we committed for the season and we are not quitters

Why do some people answer questions that were meant for the OP? They don't know the situation any more than the person asking the question, hence the question. And if the OP does not come back to answer the question, then that's on them
I can tell why I sometimes answer questions meant for the Original Poster in a thread:

--Sometimes I quote where the OP already answered the question (but someone didn't read it)

--Sometimes I restate what the OP already stated (but someone didn't read it)

--Sometimes I have read another thread by the OP, so I know information that is not given in the thread with the question. (I try to say so: "In another thread, OP said...")

--Sometimes I say "I thought..." or "I assumed...." because it explains why I gave the advice I did.

--Sometimes the question is meant for the OP, but it can really be answered by anyone (like "What does that abbreviation mean?")

Kids are better at losing than we give them credit for. My boy is in taekwondo classes. Each time there is a belt test, there are 5 trophies that go to the top students in each category. There are perhaps 30 kids participating. The first time he took the test, he sulked because he didn't earn a trophy. The second time, he got one. They third time he didn't, and didn't sulk about it. He knows he needs to excel to get a prize.

I attempt to counter the ubiquitous "But you tried!" mentality instilled at school by continually pointing out that trying is good, but a lot of times, it's success that counts more. One example: if you aren't successful at carefully spooning your cereal, you will get wet. The milk doesn't care that you tried!

Kids are better at losing than we give them credit for. My boy is in taekwondo classes. Each time there is a belt test, there are 5 trophies that go to the top students in each category. There are perhaps 30 kids participating. The first time he took the test, he sulked because he didn't earn a trophy. The second time, he got one. They third time he didn't, and didn't sulk about it. He knows he needs to excel to get a prize.

I attempt to counter the ubiquitous "But you tried!" mentality instilled at school by continually pointing out that trying is good, but a lot of times, it's success that counts more. One example: if you aren't successful at carefully spooning your cereal, you will get wet. The milk doesn't care that you tried!
And that's the way it's suppose to work.
When DD was very young and begging in the store I picked her up and we scanned the whole store. I said "This store is full of all kind of things but were not buying that. Were buying This", pointing to our things on the belt. That seemed to work.

the parents were explaining to the teacher how their precious child had never been told no.
Without "no," yes loses its meaning.

but a lot of times, it's success that counts more. One example: if you aren't successful at carefully spooning your cereal, you will get wet. The milk doesn't care that you tried!
Success Equals Results. If you hire someone to paint your house and he spends the day setting up his scaffolding and stirring his paint, but never gets around to painting, he is not successful at painting your house.

Thing I wish I could say constantly:

0F7BA228-9FC5-4914-92DD-4A9ECCBC223F.png

Our new employee started this week.

It's been super busy, and he can't actually start until the 10th.
We dropped from about 28 people to 8 people suddenly since everyone put their two weeks in at the same time and management decided to tell them not to bother coming in for the last two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom