Things you wish you could say

People seem to think that others treat their dogs like children because they want kids but don't have any to spoil.
In my opinion dogs are much better than kids, so I'm going to stick with them (and chickens :))
I recently read a long list of the 'problems' we're having today and one was " We treat our pets like children and our children like pets."

Just because I tolerate children doesn't mean I want any of my own currently. Sick of people asking when I'm going to start dating to settle down and have a family

I’m the same way. I choose not to ever have kids nor marriage. I normally respond to these questions with, “Never, I love my freedom of being able to do anything at any time and not having to check with a guy to see if he would want to do the same thing. I also love coming home to no body in the house talking. It is so nice to just come home to all the animals that don’t seem to ever have a bad day.” People seem to respond in two ways so far; either they say “Oh” and never ask again or they say nothing but you can tell they are thinking how nice this decision truly is.

I don't get this at my age any more. Thank goodness! I decided NOT to have kids, I knew I didn't want any. I told my BF before we were married that I didn't want to have any kids, and took steps to make sure it didn't happen. He may have a few regrets, but I don't.

@CluckerFamily, my reply to your statement above would be to say that out loud. Good for you.

I love my hubby. Maybe because he values peace and quiet as much as I do.

there are too many kids born for all the wrong reasons----I think responsible adults who choose to not have kids are doing everybody a favor!
I don't like children. I've never wanted any. I got so tired of people asking me when I was going to have children, even though I've never married.

Some of my responses to some of the questions I've been asked:
No, I'm not gay. No, I don't like children. I'd make a terrible parent. Don't you think that overpopulation is bad enough already? I like my freedom. Kids are waaaaay too much responsibility.

I've debated the whole foster to adopt with older children/teens. My main thing I think is that small children are useless (in a practical sense, I get the whole, they're young and babies, yada yada yada, but a baby can't do chores or even communicate with me to say it's hungry or cold. They just scream and cry and you have to figure out why) and they're constantly screaming. Constantly, up until they're like 8.

Maybe it's just that my bosses always had their kids at work that has made me so against having my own.

I've debated the whole foster to adopt with older children/teens. My main thing I think is that small children are useless (in a practical sense, I get the whole, they're young and babies, yada yada yada, but a baby can't do chores or even communicate with me to say it's hungry or cold. They just scream and cry and you have to figure out why) and they're constantly screaming. Constantly, up until they're like 8.

Maybe it's just that my bosses always had their kids at work that has made me so against having my own.

I usually find other people's small children annoying.
I mostly do OK with ones I live with & care for (this has applied when I was the much-older sibling and when I was the parent.)

For me, the difference seems to be that I know the child, so I have experience with what they are likely to need or want, and they see me as comforting instead of me being a scary stranger to them. If I cared for someone else's child on a daily basis, this might happen with them too. but I have never tried that so I don't know for sure.

I am NOT saying that anyone should have children if they do not want to. But I am saying that how you feel about other people's children might be different than how you would feel about children of your own.

I usually find other people's small children annoying.
I mostly do OK with ones I live with & care for (this has applied when I was the much-older sibling and when I was the parent.)

For me, the difference seems to be that I know the child, so I have experience with what they are likely to need or want, and they see me as comforting instead of me being a scary stranger to them. If I cared for someone else's child on a daily basis, this might happen with them too. but I have never tried that so I don't know for sure.

I am NOT saying that anyone should have children if they do not want to. But I am saying that how you feel about other people's children might be different than how you would feel about children of your own.
That's a good point. I only had one sibling, and they're pretty close in age so I never had that whole helping watch a younger relative experience

If I ever decide to have kids I'll adopt an older kid. They too often get over looked because of everyone wanting a baby.

That's a good point. I only had one sibling, and they're pretty close in age so I never had that whole helping watch a younger relative experience
I was one of the older children in a very spread-out family, so I had plenty of experience caring for a baby/toddler while I was a teenager.

I usually found it pretty easy to tell what the child wanted--look for obvious injuries, check diaper, hand child to Mom for feeding, offer toy, carry child in arms.

Often the child just wanted to be held or carried, because little kids like that. I got good at holding a baby with one arm while doing other things (read a book, play certain computer games, pick up toys, empty or load the dishwasher, supervise a child doing chores, etc.)

Having more than one adult in the house really helps. Being the only responsible person is much more exhausting, because there is no-one to give you a break. That would apply to a single parent, or to someone whose spouse is away from home, or to an older sibling or babysitter if the parent is away. All day is fine, but day & night for a week or more gets to me.

When I told people I didn't want to have kids because I wasn't all that fond of having them around ALL THE TIME, they said, "Oh, you'll change your mind." "It's different when they're you're own."

No, I didn't, and no, it's not.

My hat is off to the wonderful people who have brought up wonderful kids. I've met some of them. They give me hope for the future.

When I told people I didn't want to have kids because I wasn't all that fond of having them around ALL THE TIME, they said, "Oh, you'll change your mind." "It's different when they're you're own."

No, I didn't, and no, it's not.

My hat is off to the wonderful people who have brought up wonderful kids. I've met some of them. They give me hope for the future
I respect you (and other's) views on having children.

It makes me equally glad when people who don't want kids, don't have them.

Kids need their parents, a lot, and not just until they are old enough to make their own pb and j sandwiches and run their own Nintendo.

Back
Top Bottom