Things you wish you could say

I'm a lousy cook, tbh. I don't have the patience.

But I have grandma's 1940 cookbook. It helps.
16378592349618006618635041582278-jpg.2908957

Especially her handwritten notes. ❤️
View attachment 2908961

This was my dad's favorite. I can't bring myself to make them anymore.
A cousin has my maternal grandmother's 1935 copy of that cookbook. I was able to procure my own copy. My cousin lent me her copy so I could scan my grandmother's handwritten notes.

My grandmother never left a copy of her wonderful dried apricot pie recipe. Fortunately it is in this cookbook.

Yes, but I'll probably try it once, fail miserably, and continue buying pie crust.

Yes, I BUY MY PIE CRUST! There! I said it! :th

I feel better now.
Use a good recipe. I have several.

Once you have the dough thoroughly mixed, form it into flattened rounds (one per crust), place the rounds into plastic bags and put them in the refrigerator.

Make the filling for your pie. Remove a dough round from the refrigerator, lightly flour the inside of at least a 2 gallon sized clear plastic bag. Use the rolling pin to work the crust to the desired thickness and size. I have some 2.5 gallon bags that are the perfect size for a 9" pie crust. Alternatively you can just lightly flour the counter, put the dough round down, lightly flour the top of the dough, put a piece of plastic wrap (such as Saran wrap) over the dough and roll it out to the desired size and shape. About half way through the rolling process, flip the dough over lightly flouring the counter and the top of the dough.

I was taught to work the dough out from the center when rolling it out.

Back
Top Bottom