Things you wish you could say

Use a good recipe. I have several.

Once you have the dough thoroughly mixed, form it into flattened rounds (one per crust), place the rounds into plastic bags and put them in the refrigerator.

Make the filling for your pie. Remove a dough round from the refrigerator, lightly flour the inside of at least a 2 gallon sized clear plastic bag. Use the rolling pin to work the crust to the desired thickness and size. I have some 2.5 gallon bags that are the perfect size for a 9" pie crust. Alternatively you can just lightly flour the counter, put the dough round down, lightly flour the top of the dough, put a piece of plastic wrap (such as Saran wrap) over the dough and roll it out to the desired size and shape. About half way through the rolling process, flip the dough over lightly flouring the counter and the top of the dough.

I was taught to work the dough out from the center when rolling it out.
Now, now, I didn't say I was bad at it. I actually make quite excellent pie crust. But I still hate it. It is fussy and annoying and involves too much down time chilling things. So there
pouting.gif

Now, now, I didn't say I was bad at it. I actually make quite excellent pie crust. But I still hate it. It is fussy and annoying and involves too much down time chilling things. So there
View attachment 2910544
I keep the shortening in the refrigerator. Other than putting the dough in the refrigerator while I am making the filling, I don't spend any time chilling things. I use cold water from the tap, no ice cubes or anything else.

Did you do no research before hatching eggs. Like none at all. Cause that is what it seems like. If you see a dark 'blood spot' DO NOT THROW IT AWAY! It is probably the embryo. I was reading a thread where the person could see a few veins on day 2. DAY 2! And they threw it out because they thought it was a blood ring. Before they posted in BYC. Why post on BYC and ask if you should chunk it when you already chunked it? People.

I keep the shortening in the refrigerator. Other than putting the dough in the refrigerator while I am making the filling, I don't spend any time chilling things. I use cold water from the tap, no ice cubes or anything else.
Shortening…. I remember shortening.

We moved to Italy last summer. There is no shortening. And no corn syrup. And no pecans. (Though I have a small stash of pecans in the freezer.)

And for those of you who buy your pie crusts, there are no pie crusts to buy.

Please don’t read this wrong. We love living here. The wine is great, the olive oil, etc etc. The stores are full of fresh groceries but some food products are just not available from local grocery stores.

Shortening…. I remember shortening.

We moved to Italy last summer. There is no shortening. And no corn syrup. And no pecans. (Though I have a small stash of pecans in the freezer.)

And for those of you who buy your pie crusts, there are no pie crusts to buy.

Please don’t read this wrong. We love living here. The wine is great, the olive oil, etc etc. The stores are full of fresh groceries but some food products are just not available from local grocery stores.
I don't use corn syrup regardless of availability, but I make a pretty good pecan pie. There are alternatives to almost any ingredient. 😊

Back
Top Bottom