Think my Silky has a hearing issue..

Ms.FuzzyButts

Songster
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
North Alabama
First off, Hello to all!! I am a newbie to your forum, but long time lurker.
My question is about one of my silky babies. It is about 2 months old and was enjoying a graze in the yard when one of my dogs was playing and decided to pick it up and play with it. Well, my Australorp saved the day and flogged the dog abruptly and the dog spit my silky out immediately without any visible damage. He didn't want to eat or drink at first so I gave him some electrolytes and that did the trick. He perked up and is fine except that he holds his head funky with the left eye and ear turned up as if to hear you better. His balance is sometimes iffy. So I am figuring he may have fluid in the ear! If so , what do I do? Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Florida
I don't know maybe, hope you gave that Australorp a treat
smile.png

edited because my smiley face didn't show up
sad.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a neurological problem, likely brain damage, which frequently occurs with vaulted skulled babies like silkies. Brains are playable though, so hopefully your little girl can recover from the internal injury.

Thank you all so much. Yes, we did give the australorp special treatment for her bravery..
smile.png
This Monday will be a week since it happened. I am keeping him in the house with us to keep an eye on it. I do hope it heals, although if it doesn't, I guess we will have one spoiled baby..lol

Back
Top Bottom