Think this is a Roo?

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
It's much bigger than it's sister. A little hard to tell that from the second photo, but I couldn't get a better perspective. They are both half Easter Egger. The hen may have been a Black Star or Whiting. It's really it's size that makes me think rooster, but maybe it's just a big girl???

IMG_7454.jpeg
IMG_7456.jpeg

It's much bigger than it's sister. A little hard to tell that from the second photo, but I couldn't get a better perspective. They are both half Easter Egger. The hen may have been a Black Star or Whiting. It's really it's size that makes me think rooster, but maybe it's just a big girl???

View attachment 3633913View attachment 3633914
The shiny tail is kind of throwing me off cause it looks like a pullet at first glance, but then again, EEs are tricky to sex!
I think I’ll go with cockerel..

My guess is it’s a Whiting mix. Whitings are harder to sex because the pullets tails tend to look more like a roosters. They are normally longer and have more of a sheen to them compared to most other breeds.
I’m still going with pullet…..but how old is he/she?

I thought it was a pullet at first, but I guess not. Anything in particular I should be looking for when determining the gender of chickens in the future?
Normally when sexing chickens you can determine a rooster by its comb. Roosters combs turn red faster than a hens, so normally by the time the chicks are 6 weeks old you can determine which ones are roosters because their combs are red and the hens aren’t. I wait till my EE’s and Americaunas are 8 weeks old to sex them, since they are harder to sex.

They’re about six weeks old. I’ve had so many hatched this year that I’m mixing them all up!
I’m definitely learning cockerel too, but I really want to be wrong!

Back
Top Bottom