Think wound might be infected. Advice?

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
My brahma was attacked around 4 days ago and just yesterday I put her outside with the flock. She seems so much happier with them. But I just looked at her wound on back of meck and it looks bad. I've been using chlorohexidine and betadine, then putting on neosporin. I'll try to attach pics from today and a few days ago for comparison. Was cleaning twice per day but since outside just once per day. Any input would be appreciated. She is eating but moving slowly and not as assertive with flock as she used to be.
20230124_165259.jpg
20230201_172426.jpg
20230201_172422.jpg

Is there any bad smell from the wound? Any pus or discharge? What was she attacked by?
I don't see any undue redness. Is she eating and drinking? Droppings look normal?
If she was away from the flock for 4 days then she may not be welcomed warmly and may have to find her place in the pecking order again, so possibly that's why her behavior has changed. If there is a bad smell from the wound or other signs of infection, then an antibiotic might be needed. Just from what I can see in the pictures, I don't see anything alarming, but I can't smell it obviously.

Is there any bad smell from the wound? Any pus or discharge? What was she attacked by?
I don't see any undue redness. Is she eating and drinking? Droppings look normal?
If she was away from the flock for 4 days then she may not be welcomed warmly and may have to find her place in the pecking order again, so possibly that's why her behavior has changed. If there is a bad smell from the wound or other signs of infection, then an antibiotic might be needed. Just from what I can see in the pictures, I don't see anything alarming, but I can't smell it obviously.
Thank you for responding. No bad smell. She is eating but not assertive so the other hens get most of the food. I was just worried about the yellowish color in the pic, which is new. I didn't see what attacked her but thinking it might have been a hawk, or possibly the rooster, but he has never done anything like that. I introduced her back to the flock yesterday and a couple of hens tried to attack her, but the rooster stopped them and then I did. I was out there most of the day today and no attacks on her. So I think they are leaving her alone.

It just looks like it's healing to me. I would just reapply the ointment as needed.
Things may be settling down again. Whenever possible I like to crate injured birds in the run in a wire crate, so they are protected but can still see and be seen by the others. It usually makes reintgration go easier. Sometimes you can't do that though, they may need more monitoring or to be warmer. In those cases, when it's time to go back out I crate them in the run then, so everybody can get used to everybody again, and let them roam for supervised periods, until everyone calms down. Usually once they've roosted together overnight, things calm down. She may or may not return to her previous spot in the pecking order. Time will tell.
EDIT: Try adding another feeder or two, to give more opportunities and make it harder for the others to guard.

Last edited:
It just looks like it's healing to me. I would just reapply the ointment as needed.
Things may be settling down again. Whenever possible I like to crate injured birds in the run in a wire crate, so they are protected but can still see and be seen by the others. It usually makes reintgration go easier. Sometimes you can't do that though, they may need more monitoring or to be warmer. In those cases, when it's time to go back out I crate them in the run then, so everybody can get used to everybody again, and let them roam for supervised periods, until everyone calms down. Usually once they've roosted together overnight, things calm down. She may or may not return to her previous spot in the pecking order. Time will tell.
EDIT: Try adding another feeder or two, to give more opportunities and make it harder for the others to guard.
Thank you so much. I feel much better, was second guessing myself for putting her back outside. I will keep in mind the outside run idea. We do have a small coop in the run, but right now it is being occupied by 3 birds I'm trying to introduce to the flock. I added an extra feeder, but think I will add a few more just to be on the safe side. I have a large flock (19) and realizing I may need to make sure everyone has lots of options because I've been noticing more pecking lately.

Back
Top Bottom