Thinking about maybe getting a peafowl, talk me out of it

I have been thinking of getting a peafowl. Good idea or bad? Are they hard to keep? Can they free range during the day? Information please.
We live in the country, and a neighbor about 1/2 mile away has 4 of them. They are so loud; I can hear them over here. They are beautiful birds, but they've texted us a few times to keep our eyes out for them as they flew off somewhere. We are surrounded by farmers' fields on one side, and a forest on the other, so to try to help look for them is nearly impossible. They eventually return home on their own accord, which is nice. They just let them free range, and I've seen them sitting on top of their house. They've asked us if when their youngest daughter leaves home, if we'd take them as they only have them for their kids. That's like in a year from now. We raise silkies, and they have chickens and ducks, so they apparently get along with everything.

I hope what I've observed helps a little bit.

Peafowl are not hard to keep but they require a large amount of space and, like any animal, the more time you invest in them the more rewarding they will be. They are special birds and relatively long lived so I would only recommend them if you are very committed and in a position to provide them with the best conditions.

Whether or not you can free range them depends on your site and, in any case, you will need a large enough aviary to contain them for a couple of months before letting them loose.

I would suggest reading everything in the stickies and then posting back here if you have more specific questions.

Back
Top Bottom