Thinking of adding a roo

nova022

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2012
I have a flock of nine girls 5 to 7mos old and am thinking about adding a roo. What is the best way to do this?

My friend has offered to give me a roo from his last hatch which is now two months old. He is pretty and I would Iike to have him which leads to two other questions:

Is this too much age difference between the roo (2 months) and my girls (5 to 7 months)?

My girls have all been vaccinated for Mareks and the roo has not. Will this cause a problem for either the roo or my girls?

If the age difference is not a problem but the Mareks vaccinations are, would I be better off getting a day old cockrel that is vaccinated and raise him with a few pullet chicks and intorduce them to the flock when they are older?

Thanks for any incite.

If you have an area that you can separate them for a few days or even a few weeks then that can help. If you don't then just watch them a bit as you feed treats and introduce. The more space that you have the better the chances that all will get along and get the "pecking order' sorted out.

I have an isolated area in the coop/run that I can add newcomers. They get a chance to get acquainted for awhile before hanging out together.

Last edited:
I do have an area that I can keep the roo seperate from the others until they get used to each other. I (any building actually is done by my husband hehehe) built it when I intorduced the younger girls I've now to the older girls. It is perfect for that.

Do you think the Marek's thing would be an issue? I don't want to make either group sick.

I do have an area that I can keep the roo seperate from the others until they get used to each other. I (any building actually is done by my husband hehehe) built it when I intorduced the younger girls I've now to the older girls. It is perfect for that.

Do you think the Marek's thing would be an issue? I don't want to make either group sick.
Should not be an issue in my opinion. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom