Third chicken with water belly

macylee36

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
I just took fluid out of my Big Red. Came out yellow and foamy - I think there might have even been some air in there?? I wasn't able to get much out cause she kept squirming so we'll try again in a bit. Am I correct in assuming this is perontinitis (sp?) and also correct in believing there is not yet an infection? I gave her some antibiotic but it was hard to find some meat on her, which is weird cause she is big! Thoughts?

Gah!!! Ok, in addition to my first post - I want to try using a catheter to get the fluid out. No where local sells them. I asked my vet and they said no. For those of you who use one, where do you go to get them?!

I have looked up ascites and I was under the impression that comes out fairly clear. This is a darker yellow - not too dark. I'm not sure where the best place to buy is. Was hoping someone could offer a suggestion.

And there's this:
348_dcp_5482.jpg

Photo from speckledhen's thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/362422/drained-a-hens-abdomen-rest-in-peace-olivia-11-5-10

-Kathy

Last edited:
More like the first one. Also, I have five birds and all five laid today. What does that mean for Big Red? She's also been dripping on her own for several hours so a lot of the fluid has come out, but she still has a bit.

Ascites can be from a heart problem... I lost a male peachick to ascites that was cause by a heart defect.

-Kathy

Well, I thought ascites was more clear - is it actually supposed to be more yellow? She has a lot of energy and I'm kind of just letting her drip. I'll dry her off before it gets dark out and try to stop the dripping for the night but I'm not really sure what else to do except drain her and giver her antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom