THIS CANNOT BE NORMAL... chick died in egg (GRAPHIC PICS ADDED)

teresa-78

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
England
Hello everyone,

Now I have to try and explain so people will understand what I am on about...

We put some egg in tha bator 22 days ago... I have posted today on here about a not so straight forward hatch... but that was another story. Anyway 9 out of the 12 chicks hatched, 3 with my help... 1 died after pipping through its own wing, and 2 were quitters when we candled on day 18, seemed to have quit half way through maybe day 10 ish, by the size of the dots in the eggs...anyway when my partner got home from work today all chicks had been moved to brooder, which left the 2 quitters in the bator, so before chucking them we candled first, just to make sure.... now one was rotten, no veins ect.... so we then candle the 2nd and to my amazement I saw some movement and veins.... but my shock is that the size of the chick in this egg looks to be smaller than a chick at day 18... is this possible on day 22?? all eggs added to bator at same time.. there has been no difference in the incubation of this egg, than in the incubation of the 9 chicks that hatched?? Can this chick possibly develope and hatch??

It has crossed my mind that it could be something else that takes longer to hatch.. but it was a silkie egg, and looked like the other silkie eggs that were in the batch??

Any suggestions or even better if anyone has had the same experience would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would leave it to see what it does. You may have a difference of temp in your bator and that caused the slower development. Keep a close eye on it to see what happens. I have a had this happen when I used a LG still air bator. A few of the eggs would hatch a day or two late and the chicks were fine.

Quote:
Hiya thanks for your reply, I thought of that also but it is not possible, the egg was placed in the middle and all eggs around it hatched... I am baffled at how this has happened, I so hope it hatches, would bring my hatch to 10/12 which is not bad at all... especially with the difficulty of this hatch.... it was hard work...

I am hoping removing the chicks and candleing wont have effected it, the humidity has been stable all the way through until I had to grab the hatched chicks out and help 3 chicks to hatch (I did this as I could not stand to watch them die
hide.gif
) which would of happened for sure if I left them.... I will have to keep a close eye on this one. Humidity is stable and temp is also... so
fl.gif

Edited to add I use a king suro bator...

Last edited:
I had one that is in the bator right now that is a little weird.... I canded the one egg that was left at the end of the hatch and fluff stage. There was clear at the bottum like it looked dead BUT it was chirping to me a lot! I left it alone and now at day 24 there is no noise or movment
sad.png

I'm thinking that it was deformed in a way, or that it was a double yoker but the other died mid way leaving this one in trouble. Idono but I wouldnt mess with it since I believe getting involved would probably do more harm then good...

Quote:
I have heard no cheeping or had no movement, but during candeling you can see it move??? its very unusual... I always said I would not get involved, and let nature take its course... but when 3 of mine pipped on tuesday and still 37-38 hours later still had not hatched, I had to help, they stopped cheeping and moving very little, and I am glad I helped as they are doing great, one was held in by a dried up ropey thing in its mouth holding it back... and the other 2 both had the hardest shells I have ever seen, I even had trouble zipping it... one died due to pipping straight through its wing (the skin) and could not get to the shell to zip... this one though I am not sure because it can not be normal at this stage and being so small.... I will see what happens

Last edited:
I'm still new to this but is it possible that you are moving the liquid inside so it ends up looking like movement. I have had one egg that quit and I thought I seen movement but I stopped and really looked at it because it was so behind the ones going into lock down. turns out every shake of my hand made the rotten stuff inside move. Just something that happened to me this is only my 3rd hatch
hu.gif

Quote:
Hiya yeah I thought this also, so I recandled which is not good, and I am so naughty
hide.gif
but I had to be sure, and yes there is movement for sure, especially when I cheep at it (yep I look mad cheeping to an egg) lol the veins are really red and prominent... which I have heard would dissapear once the chick dies... as it did with the other egg in this batch that quited about day 10ish by the size of it, it looks more like an egg on day 14-15

I would keep an eye on it. I didn't update in my other post because I just haven't yet but my two eggs I had left I went ahead and opened them to see what happened. I feel terrible. Both completely formed, they both had shells that were super hard. I should of helped them when they were rocking and peeping two days ago when all the rest hatched. You know my story I helped six of my eight out and I'm really glad I did. what type of bird is it that looks smaller? is it the same as the rest? cuz one of my dead ones was a Barred Rock and it was smaller than my others by a bit but not too bad. You should of seen how beautiful they were
hit.gif

Quote:
Oh I am sorry, just think, you have 6 healthy chicks because you helped... they would not have hatched if you had not helped.

The egg is from a silkie..... I have looked over all the chicks, which are polish and silkies... but I have a feeling on 2 are pure polish, and non are pure silkies..... I feel that some are polish x silkies... which has annoyed me, as I took them for payment if a male runner duck, on the understanding they were pure... I will see what they look like and maybe keep a few and on top of selling polish and silkies I may sell polishxsilkies also.... we have the room and various pens so they will all be seperated so no x breeding with my pure flock.

I will ge some pictures as soon as I can

Back
Top Bottom