This chick looks different then the rest!

Is he much larger than the rest? He could be a red broiler.
Much larger! Like, double the size. The legs are huge, thick, and long also. The weird thing is they're all from the same hatch date and this ones always been way bigger, but didn't develop feathers as quickly as the others.

It's always a good idea to be cautious with roo's and small children. They (the children) are smaller, move faster and different than adults and are more likely to be perceived as a threat or a target. But every roo is different and personalities and temperaments can vary greatly.
I would handle him a lot now while he's still small so that he is accustomed to all of you and make you less likely to be seen as a target, and then you will have to see how he turns out. I have had really nasty roo's that attacked anyone and everyone with little to no provocation , and really sweet roo's that are just fine and do their job with the ladies and leave everyone alone. I would still be very cautious and not let small children be with any roo without supervision. If you google "dealing with an aggressive rooster" you will find many articles on how to deal with it if that becomes the case, or make the choice not to keep him if it comes to that. It will be up to you how much you are willing to deal with. Good luck, hopefully he turns out to be a sweet one.
Thanks so much! Great advice :)

Are Rhode Island reds also called production red?
no this is a RIR
images-76.jpeg
and this is a productive red
images-77.jpeg

Much larger! Like, double the size. The legs are huge, thick, and long also. The weird thing is they're all from the same hatch date and this ones always been way bigger, but didn't develop feathers as quickly as the others.
Sounds like a meat bird of some sort. Red broiler, red ranger, maybe Pioneer. He definitely isn't a golden comet cockerel. They are white with red shoulders, and not as large as yours sounds.

Back
Top Bottom