This could be a quick question re: 1st years laying

pigcoon

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Vermont
I've had chickens for about 15 years, so not a total newbie. First set were Golden Comets. They laid like clockwork around 22 weeks. 2nd set were Barred Rocks. They also laid between 22 and 25 weeks.

Now I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, and 2 Buff Orpingtons, hatched May 20. About 25 weeks now. I have been getting one teeny egg each day from the Buff that has a developed comb, for about a month. From the rest of them, I am not seeing anything. All 4 of the Wyandottes don't have much of a comb at all. The other Buff has a much smaller comb.

Since my flocks have never been this late before, I wondered if this was common for these breeds? Or is there something else that's never been true for my birds that is true for these birds?

Just curious; of course I am willing to patiently wait, but something just seems off.

They are healthy, active and eating in all ways!

Genetics and breed plays a role in onset of laying, but so does time of year. Did you make a note on a calendar when your previous layers began?

This time of year, the day length is going in the wrong direction, shortening daylight and interfering with those egg laying hormones. Some pullets squeeze in under the wire while others can't seem to muster their hormones and will be consigned to wait until they are triggered by lengthening days sometime after the new year begins.

You can console yourself with knowing your budding layers will be much more ready with bodies a few months older when they start laying. It means far less chance of something going wrong in their egg factories.

I've had chickens for about 15 years, so not a total newbie. First set were Golden Comets. They laid like clockwork around 22 weeks. 2nd set were Barred Rocks. They also laid between 22 and 25 weeks.

Now I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, and 2 Buff Orpingtons, hatched May 20. About 25 weeks now. I have been getting one teeny egg each day from the Buff that has a developed comb, for about a month. From the rest of them, I am not seeing anything. All 4 of the Wyandottes don't have much of a comb at all. The other Buff has a much smaller comb.

Since my flocks have never been this late before, I wondered if this was common for these breeds? Or is there something else that's never been true for my birds that is true for these birds?

Just curious; of course I am willing to patiently wait, but something just seems off.

They are healthy, active and eating in all ways!
I have 2 gold laced Wyandotte’s and 1 buff Orpington that are part of a mixed flock of 13 ladies. And those were my last 3 to start laying. Took between 24 and 26 weeks.

And they were also prone to fairy eggs at first. Now i am unsure of how much laying each girls is doing because i get between 6-8 eggs a day now that the days are growing colder and shorter.

I really can’t say if it’s breed specific but it was my experience that they are late bloomers.

My girls are EEs, this year they are late starting, I almost always get a few that fire up at 4 months. This year only 2 have started at 6 MO. Now I have been wondering if they know something I dont, like we are going to have a hard winter,, we got 4" of snow yesterday, which for me is more of a January/Febuary thing. Burrrrr!!

I have 2 gold laced Wyandotte’s and 1 buff Orpington that are part of a mixed flock of 13 ladies. And those were my last 3 to start laying. Took between 24 and 26 weeks.

And they were also prone to fairy eggs at first. Now i am unsure of how much laying each girls is doing because i get between 6-8 eggs a day now that the days are growing colder and shorter.

I really can’t say if it’s breed specific but it was my experience that they are late bloomers.
My Buff Orps were the same way

Back
Top Bottom