This is a hen and a roo, right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shady, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Shady

Shady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    WV
    These are 15 week old Madagascar Gamefowl. I ordered hens, but I'm thinking one might be a roo. "He" is bigger than the other one(which I'm fairly certain is a hen) and his comb turned red first. I actually don't mind a roo, so it's not a problem if he is, but I would like to know what people think.
    [​IMG]
    Raptor, the rooster(?)
    [​IMG]
    Rex, the hen

And together:
    [​IMG]
    Rex in front, Raptor in back

[​IMG]
    Rex on left, Raptor on right.

And, well were at at, anyone want to take a guess on what breeds/gender their penmate is? I bought it as a silkie, and as a chick it looked just like a silkie (albeit, a large one). Obviously, though, it's not a silkie. I was think silkie x d'uccle, but the legs are clean so I'm not sure. It's older than the Madagascars by at least a few weeks, but I forget its exact age.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    I think they are both hens

3. Chickery Chick

Chickery Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    I've seen this question a lot on this site. So I took it upon myself to take a photo of two varieties of "supposedly pullets" that I got all at the same time and same age this Spring.
    Of course, like always, I was paying for pullets and got roosters mixed in. This really makes me mad when they do this.
    A few years ago, I bought 10 pullets....ha ha. 5 were roosters....go figure.
    What am I supposed to do, at the end of the year after feeding them all Spring.....take them back and say I want my money back....a whole $2.50 each.
    What a joke for accountability on their part.

Anyway, this is a very frustrating situation and I understand people's confusion.
    Below you can clearly see the difference in the cones of hen vs. roo development.
    These chicks are about 1/2 the size of the full grown. But I noticed this cone difference over a month ago.
    I don't think size is the factor for roo vs. hen, until way later on but maybe that is jut my experience.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the one you think might be a rooster is a rooster, the red shiny feathers coming in are his "male sex feathers", you should be able to see saddle feathers on him soon if not now.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Raptor is a rooster, and Rex is probably a hen. I don't know what your unknown bird is, but she sure is cute!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree. Interesting looking birds!

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If it wasn't for the reddish feathers in the boy, I'd have said a pullet.

Your unknown is a girl.

:)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    had that happen this year when ordering Madagascar pullets too, ordered 4 pullets and got 3 pullets and a roo instead.

9. Shady

Shady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    WV
    Thanks you guys. I was wondering why he was getting those red feathers.
    Fancyfowl4ever, I wonder if they are just a hard breed to sex? Do you have any pictures of your babies? I've come across so few people that own them so I love to see others!

10. Chickery Chick

Chickery Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Sorry shady, my chickens are a different variety so my photos were not much help for your situation. I'm glad others are more familiar of your specific breed and noted the spotted feathers. That was very interesting to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by