This is a hen and a roo, right?

Shady

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
WV
These are 15 week old Madagascar Gamefowl. I ordered hens, but I'm thinking one might be a roo. "He" is bigger than the other one(which I'm fairly certain is a hen) and his comb turned red first. I actually don't mind a roo, so it's not a problem if he is, but I would like to know what people think.

Raptor, the rooster(?)

Rex, the hen

And together:

Rex in front, Raptor in back

Rex on left, Raptor on right.

And, well were at at, anyone want to take a guess on what breeds/gender their penmate is? I bought it as a silkie, and as a chick it looked just like a silkie (albeit, a large one). Obviously, though, it's not a silkie. I was think silkie x d'uccle, but the legs are clean so I'm not sure. It's older than the Madagascars by at least a few weeks, but I forget its exact age.

I've seen this question a lot on this site. So I took it upon myself to take a photo of two varieties of "supposedly pullets" that I got all at the same time and same age this Spring.
Of course, like always, I was paying for pullets and got roosters mixed in. This really makes me mad when they do this.
A few years ago, I bought 10 pullets....ha ha. 5 were roosters....go figure.
What am I supposed to do, at the end of the year after feeding them all Spring.....take them back and say I want my money back....a whole $2.50 each.
What a joke for accountability on their part.

Anyway, this is a very frustrating situation and I understand people's confusion.
Below you can clearly see the difference in the cones of hen vs. roo development.
These chicks are about 1/2 the size of the full grown. But I noticed this cone difference over a month ago.
I don't think size is the factor for roo vs. hen, until way later on but maybe that is jut my experience.

Last edited:
the one you think might be a rooster is a rooster, the red shiny feathers coming in are his "male sex feathers", you should be able to see saddle feathers on him soon if not now.

Raptor is a rooster, and Rex is probably a hen. I don't know what your unknown bird is, but she sure is cute!

Thanks you guys. I was wondering why he was getting those red feathers.
Fancyfowl4ever, I wonder if they are just a hard breed to sex? Do you have any pictures of your babies? I've come across so few people that own them so I love to see others!

Sorry shady, my chickens are a different variety so my photos were not much help for your situation. I'm glad others are more familiar of your specific breed and noted the spotted feathers. That was very interesting to know.

Back
Top Bottom