This is really gross, but...

Good resource:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system

If you read through all of these 'disorders' you may notice how weight is mentioned often.
Overweight birds are much more prone to all of these 'disorders.'
Overweightness happens when birds aren't fed a balanced diet.
Many people over fed treats. I've no idea what you feed your flock but this is the reason why I asked.

I had a hen lay a few lash material blobs and look poorly for a week then rebounded and lived another 4 years.

I do not think the eggs from her would be dangerous to consume.

I currently have several high production birds in my flock. Them dropping dead by 2 years old is a falsehood. Mine are all over 2 and a few are approaching 6 years old now. They all still lay regularly. Maybe not 6 eggs a week but still 4+ eggs a week from the older gals while the younger are still producing 5-6 a week.
That's a relief. Fingers crossed!

Good resource:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system

If you read through all of these 'disorders' you may notice how weight is mentioned often.
Overweight birds are much more prone to all of these 'disorders.'
Overweightness happens when birds aren't fed a balanced diet.
Many people over fed treats. I've no idea what you feed your flock but this is the reason why I asked.
I give them free access to 16% protein commercial layer pellets and a handful of scratch grain thrown in the run in the morning. They free range for a good half of the day. Once in a while I use a piece of torn up wheat bread to entice them into their run. Now that they're molting I give the 18% protein pellets. Is it possible for them to eat too many earthworms? Once in a while I turn over the veggie garden soil for them to grab worms, and the afflicted one gorges on them. They all love to eat grass when they're out.
It is likely that they get too much grain. Thanks for the resource.

Back
Top Bottom