This is Why Hardware Cloth

Glad your chickens are safe! My guess is that the owners didn't pay attention to the dead battery light on the collar. My dog won't approach our property line with or without her collar, but terriers will constantly test the system. Our neighbors were not good about replacing the battery for their dog until we reminded them that we now had a rooster and that we could not guarantee her safety when she came to visit.

Yes , dogs can be trained to stay away , usually with 1 injection of #12 - .22 rat shot directly in the rear at a distance of 50-60 feet .

Dogs can disrupt the structure of chain link fence enough to get out or in .

And yes , chickens can scale a 8' fence by flapping wings .

What's called Hardware Cloth today was originally called Hail Screen .

Glad your chickens are safe! My guess is that the owners didn't pay attention to the dead battery light on the collar. My dog won't approach our property line with or without her collar, but terriers will constantly test the system. Our neighbors were not good about replacing the battery for their dog until we reminded them that we now had a rooster and that we could not guarantee her safety when she came to visit.

There are still 2 neighbors we haven't contacted but so far no one within half a mile knows whose dogs they are. :(

My guess is that the owners didn't pay attention to the dead battery light on the collar.

We found the owners -- the one neighbor we hadn't talked to yet -- and you nailed it. Dead batteries on the collars.

DH gave them a polite reminder that we had chickens and expressed the desire to not have to call animal control.

Is there REALLY anything wrong with your chickens feeling safe?

Well, in my case, I prefer my chickens to be afraid of just anything that comes around the coop and run. When a stray dog comes into the yard, my chickens will beat feet and hide in the coop. If some strangers (people) come by to visit, they will run and hide in the coop, and stay here until they feel safe enough to come out. They only tolerate me because they know I feed them, and they are always looking for some kitchen scraps or treats if I am carrying our ice cream pail from the kitchen.

:idunno I guess I prefer my chickens to be on guard all the time. Hiding out of sight is a good way to make other potential predators lose interest.

I am considering putting an electric wire around the coop the 60 mile fence charger I saw on Craig's list is probably a little strong though.
And yes, determination can come in minute packages.
Mini wheenie can wipe out a small flock. (also, I have thought about getting a gamecock...but then again *I* want to go out to the chickens without getting mauled. )

Back
Top Bottom