This is year already off to a bad start . ** UPDATE **

Hang in there Julie. I'll be thinking good thoughts for ya!
smile.png

We got chickens because my husband lost his job. Got to generate our own food as much as possible. I'm building coops and nesting boxes and that's paying the winter bills a little.

Keep your chickens, they'll pay for themselves. Just not fun extras.

Cut out caller ID, call waiting, voice mailbox, any extras, the newspaper, cable, DSL

Go to www.ratracerebellion.com they list a lot of stay at home jobs. They try really hard to make sure they are all legit too.

Good luck.

well I have been sitting here reading all the great advice ( thank you so much )
well we are not the eating out kinda people ( maybe once a week ) so stopping that is fine with me

we dont have cable ( not a big tv person -most days the tv never even comes on )

When we had the paper job I did not have to work - that's the reason I was able to get the chickens so I would be here to take care of them. It's not so much that feeding them cost alot - the last trip to TS I spent 24.00 but that was 50# of general feed and a 50# of cracked corn - so they are not expensive, but I will be going back to work DH will be working and the animals will not get as much attention as they have been getting and I am a firm believer that if you are not willing/able to give your pets attetion they need - find someone who can. The ducks going to the zoo was something we talked about doing anyway, I am unable to hold them due to the oils in thier feathers that keep them watersafe - they bother my eyes and makes them watery and painful.
I would love to keep a few of the flock - but how do you choose who stays and who goes ?
I know people have lost jobs before and have been just fine, and I know once I get back to work that will help( I am not afraid of working ) and I know we can always rebuild the flock.
I do love my chickens and it will be a huge shock to not have them around but I really do feel that right now DH is right - we are going to be busy working and paying off Abbey's vet bills that the chickens will not get the attention that I have spoiled them to- and that's not fair to them.
I would love it if they could go to some BYC homes but I dont think anyone lives that close to me. I would ship them if it was not so darn cold - if I was to ship them the birds would be free ( the person wanting them would only pay the shipping cost ) I will post them in the buy/sell section see what happens.

thanks everyone for the advice you have given I know things happen for a reason - just wondering what that reason is right now.

Julie

Maybe your chickens would be happier seeing less of you than being relocated. Think about it. You're stressed, and feeling inadequate right now. But maybe your birds don't expect as much as you think they do.

I wouldn't rush into finding them new homes. You'd hate to part with them and then find that they would've fit into the new routine. If you have plenty of feed stocked up, then hold onto the peeps until the feed bags are 1/2 full. THEN make your decision.

That gives you time to see what the new schedule holds, and how it relates to your critters. It also weans them from attention they may not get from a new owner. Also, it lets you see how much the eggs benefit the food budget.

I can't see any reason why you can have a job and still have chickens, many people do! You've set up an all or nothing scenario, where nothing is that set in stone. I know we like to run our lives a certain way and when things don't go right it throws us for a loop. Be more flexible in your thinking and things will work out for all of you, including your chickens. How many 'hobbies' can provide food for your table - gardens and chickens come to mind immediately. I've always had a garden, and this spring I'll have chickens - and still have my job teaching Pilates. Settle down a bit and do some more thinking
smile.png

Can you sign up for your states unemployment, if you have enough quarters in then you can receive a check. I would look into it, that's what you pay taxes for. Good luck to you.

Edited to add: I also work an outside job and mine do fine while I'm gone.

Last edited:
I know it's hard, try to think positive to keep your flock. Just a few ideas from this part of the unemployment fence: First, we switched from buying feed from TS to a local feed mill. Wow, went from $12/40# bag to $9 for 100# bag, and my hens really like this new food.
Southern's right, can you sell your eggs? At about $2.50 -$3.00 per doz, maybe this would help. Also, I believe your hens won't mind being "ignored" a little. Mine seem to be a pretty forgiving lot--even when I decide it's too cold to let them out to their pen, don't have enough to buy "special treats," etc. They are just glad to see me and come running to see what I am bringing them. Now, I look more closely at veggie peels, bread crusts, etc. They seem to love these throw-aways just as much as the special bird seed I used to buy. I believe they are happy to be in a place they know.
After having lost my job in Oct., we are still making it, even thru the holidays. DH is unemployed too, but we are scrounging by on our savings, selling off the metal pile (wow!), and planning on selling excess furniture and antiques in storage.
Look close, you may find a way. Be creative! We live in a small town, a local guy set up to take in pop/beer cans. With the price of aluminum he is succeeding being "the can man." He found a niche and has now even hired assistants. Sometimes the simplest ideas may work.
Just glad we put up veggies last summer, and had a rainy day fund. One bright side is that now, after the first, businesses are getting serious about work again.
--bjcoop (still getting by....)

Sorry to hear about your problems. The most important thing is you have each other and I assume you are in good health.

My very dearest friend is laying on her death bed with pancreatic cancer at 57 that is not fair she will not see another ball drop.

And remember When God closes one door he opens another. Someone or something will come along just keep the faith.

love.gif

Sorry to hear about your friend being ill -

I wish I could sell some eggs !! the girls are just getting going at least 3 of them are - the others are still clueless about what an egg is LOL

I dont want to give my girls up - so for now I am going to keep them all ( except the ducks because of the allergies to the oils - but they will love thier new home)
I never knew how much you could grow to love a chicken until you start thinking about getting rid of them - man I have been sick to my stomach about giving them up, I guess if everyone else can work and keep a happy and healthy flock i will give it a try.
Plus I know with spring coming ( sooner or later lol ) the girls will not pay any attention to me anyway once they start looking for bugs LOL
I called a dear friend of mine who loves the chickens and told her what is going on and she said she could drive by the place on days when both me and DH are working and check on them for me - and my chickens know her so they will not freak out if she is with them.
The dogs will be fine in thier yard I was not worried about them.

I guess just the thought of not having that income and things changing around here sent both me and DH into a panic- he still has his other job so we are not complelety jobless which is a good thing LOL
he does not want me to work but I know if I dont it will make things harder on him - and I really dont mind working. I start job hunting Monday morning first stop the TS ( might get a discount on the feed if I work there
wink.png
) than off to wal-mart ( you get a discount on everything there
wink.png
) LOL

I really do want to thank you all for letting me vent and giving alot of great advice and help - I know things could be alot worse.

I always tell people this is the best place to go to if you have a chicken problem, but I never thought it would be a great place to go for people problems too !!

thank you all so very much and I know if the flock could thank you - they would.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom