"Those chickens just don't respect you" :|

CatsandCrops

Songster
Apr 7, 2020
Cleveland, OH
I am convinced my teenage chickens are rebelling against me. They spend their days in a large enclosed run (lots of predators in our area), I give them greens from the garden/yard daily, I'm the one who refills their food, brings out clean water (or ice for waterers/bath on hot days), gives them the occasionally treat, etc etc. My husband only occasionally cares for them due to his work schedule.

We lock them in their coop every night for protection. Typically this happens between 845p-9p but can go until 930p-10p if he's working an overnight and I'm working 2nd shift. They are usually good at going in on their own (we open the human door, check their food/water inside and they start climbing in if they aren't in already) but lately, they have been running around the run when we go to shut them in (probably due to later sunset times). My husband will pop open the door, do his routine and within a minute or two, every one is inside for the night. Now, if I do the exact same thing, I'll still have a handful running around literally caring less that it's bed time. My husband is convinced they don't respect me and just see me as the bringer of food. I think they are scared of the monster who occasionally comes in at night time and want to get into their safe coop so he doesn't eat them:idunno any ideas?

My vote is they are more comfortable with you. Mine will stay out later if I'm sitting with them.
That's a sweet idea. I never thought about it, but every time my favorite gal "Scratchy Bird" hears me coming to close them up she zooms out of the coop and runs over to me. I have to pick her up and put her back in the coop. I try telling her she's being bad, but she doesn't listen! 🤪🤣🤷‍♀️

I agree. It's like picking the kids up from the babysitter. They've been acting great, all nice and calm, until mama walks in. Then they act crazy. It's just that they feel comfortable with you there so they don't have to protect themselves for a minute. Doesn't help you any but...

They’re happier with you and want to spend time with you. It’s like babies and a bedtime story. They want to hang out with you for a bit before bed. The only time they see him is generally for bedtime so this is what they’re conditioned for with him.

This helps a lot! I have a very similar flock. They will hop right over to my husband and immediately calm when he holds them. They seem to be more antsy and flighty around me. Even though I do most of the daily "chores" part for them.

Back
Top Bottom