Those lice egg clusters

CynthiaM

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Webster's Corners, B.C.
I got some new hens yesterday from a friend. A few of them has rather dirty rear ends, so we brought them inside to clean them up. After examining the rear end after cleaning, it was visible that two of the chickens had rather large clusters of lice eggs on the base of some of the small feathers around the vent. I pulled off a feather to have a better look, suspecting it was lice. I went on the internet and my suspicion was confirmed. A lice regimen will be in effect in the morning. I have not ever seen this on any of my chickens in the past.

The question is: will dusting the chickens destroy the eggs or do I have to wait for a hatch.

The next question is: should these feathers that have egg clusters be removed, say by pulling out? That would seem rather brutal, but it would diminish the population quickly.

Third question: if the feathers are removed, do they grow back? Have a great day. CynthiaM

#1- Dusting will not kill the eggs. You will have to continue to treat for the little blighters on a regular basis. Just part of keeping chickens I suppose.
#2- Pulling the feathers might slow the infestation for just a bit but some will escape and they have an amazing reproductive rate.
#3- The feathers will regrow.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom